iPad mini Is it totaled?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CrownVic, Feb 9, 2017.

1. CrownVic macrumors regular

CrownVic

Hey guys! My mom dropped her iPad mini on a hard kitchen floor and it destroyed the screen. There are multiple holes that you can see sight through the iPad (see pictures). It still works though! So, do you guys think its totaled? What can we expect Apple to do about it? Would they replace the screen, or recommend a refurbished one (obviously at our expense because we don't have AppleCare). Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not sure what it is but Apple may be able to replace the screen if that is the only problem. It will not be cheap and the cost could make it a bad deal.

3. Unami, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

Unami macrumors 6502a

4. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Airbags didn't deploy - you might not be over the value of the iPad. ;)

5. CrownVic thread starter macrumors regular

CrownVic

Thanks for the advice :) Like you said, depending on how much it is, it could be a bad deal. Ill have to weigh my options

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You might get it fixed cheaper through a third party but I would still go to Apple to see what they said.

Sorry about your loss, how far away is Mom's birthday?

7. CrownVic thread starter macrumors regular

CrownVic

haha The holes are pretty cool. I've never seen anything like that. I should tell my mom that its a feature! You can keep stuff in there now! :D

Thank you for the link! Its a Mini 2, so 199 isn't too bad. I was thinking that it would have to be replaced and it would cost $300+. Im pretty sure a simple screen replacement is all it needs.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2017 ---
    I could try 3rd party, but like you said I'm definitely going to have it checked with Apple. I dont think she's too upset because it is pretty old. Its gotten a lot of use, so this was bound to happen sometime. I would LOVE to get her a full size iPad or even the newest Mini, but money is pretty tight right now. Depending on how much a screen replacement is, it might be a better deal to get a newer one!

Her birthday is in October, but mothers day is round the corner ;)

8. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Ouch! That is a hard hit!

Since you don't have Apple Care and it is out of warranty anyway, I would definitely check out a 3rd party, especially seeing as you are tight on cash. I've had really good luck with 3rd parties for the kids' iPads screens, which have each been replaced once (Now locked down inside Otterbox defender cases, which have been AWESOME for them).

You'll probably pay less than half of what Apple will charge you, which would make it worth the repair. If you're going to pay Apple, you might as well get a new/refurbished one directly from them!

9. CrownVic thread starter macrumors regular

CrownVic

Thats a good idea!! Right now I am thinking about going 3rd party. First Ill see what Apple says about it and get a quote. Like you said, if Apple charges an arm and a leg, it might be worth it to get a referb Mini 3 or 4

10. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

Apple is currently selling a refurbished iPad mini 4 (16GB) for $319 at its online store.

So basically for $120 over the price of an iPad mini 2 screen replacement, you are getting a newer unit with a fresh battery, faster processor, better camera, Touch ID, 802.11ac WiFi, and a full 1-year warranty.

Makes more sense than getting the mini 2's screen replaced the way I see it.

11. CrownVic thread starter macrumors regular

CrownVic

Oh wow thats not bad!! Im going to check that one out :)

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Agreed. That's what I would do. And there is no telling if there is internal damage. It's likely a safe bet to purchase a refurbished model, which has the warranty from Apple.

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

3rd party is awesome! It cost me really cheap ($99) long time ago at local store in Los Angeles!

14. David58117 macrumors 65816

I did that to my iPhone 7, and had a pretty good sized hole in it for awhile.

It worked fine, but I dropped it again and the screen became more damaged, so I ended up getting it fixed by apple ($150ish).

Just becareful, because a shard of the screen came out, and there was a sharp edge on the screen that get me sometimes.

No biggie though!!

15. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

The primary concern is if the damage went beyond the screen. If it did, a third party repair might not be sufficient.

You should still attempt a third party repair, but otherwise you're probably going to have to get a refurbished one as a "repair".

16. simonmet macrumors 65816

simonmet

Agreed, and then just sell that one for parts, you might get $50 or $100, meaning the cost of upgrading compared to fixing is minimal.

17. CrownVic thread starter macrumors regular

CrownVic

Hey guys I appreciate all the replies! So for now she said that shell use it cracked. I insisted we get it fixed, but she said it wasn't worth it lol. She's very utilitarian. Use it until its completely dead lol