Is it TRUE? 15" MacBook Pro (2014) dedicated graphics only with 512 GB storage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vmv89, Jul 31, 2014.

1. vmv89, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014

vmv89 macrumors member

vmv89

:mad::eek::confused:
    I was in the process of purchasing a MacBook Pro with these specs below.

$2,299.00
    15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
    2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

But was told that dedicated graphics will come only if I upgrade to 512 GB of storage? Is it true that even though I upgraded everything to max except hard drive storage, I will not get dedicated graphics? Or was it just salesperson way of getting me to spend more money?

Thanks!

2. taedouni macrumors 65816

There are two RMBP models, the base model (cheapest) and then top model (more money). The base model only comes with the Iris Graphics. The top model comes with a discrete graphics card. The top model has 512 GB of SSD storage.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Yes and no, as you can see from the Apple site, there are 2 models of 15" rMBP: One with dedicated graphics and one without.

The amount of storage doesnt matter. You can buy 15" with iris pro and upgrade it to 512GB, and still not get a dGPU. You cannot get the dGPU version with 256GB of storage. (unless you physically change it out yourself)

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

4. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

Thank you guys.
    I did not know that and am new to Apple products.

:apple:

5. simsaladimbamba

6. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

I was just thinking of going with 2.5 :)
    But most likely I will go with 13", and upgrade next year when hopefully Apple makes major upgrades unlike this year.

I do not think I will not be doing anything that heavy, that will require a dedicated graphics so saving money now and upgrading whenever Broadwell is released is what I most likely will do.

Thank you for your input!

7. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

I created a thread just last week trying to decide between the base 15" and the high-end 15".
    Yesterday I picked up the high-end 15" from a local Apple Store. You get the 2.5 GHz CPU, 512 GB HDD and a dGPU for "almost" the same price that you'd spend to upgrade the base 15" to the same specs (you'd be stuck with an iGPU, though). I love it, been doing some PS and video-editing work - it's just smooth. The iGPU so far has been more than enough.
    For the work that I do, I am certain that this machine will be MORE THAN capable of keeping up over the next few years.
    If you are going to do any photography/video editing work, I'd rather suggest you to get a 15" rMBP for the screen estate. I don't think I'd really like the 13" one, since this one already feels a little too small because I was so used to working with a 17.3" laptop.