Is it True in Snow Leopard 64 Bit mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleTecFan, Sep 4, 2009.

1. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

Is it true in Snow Leopard if you press 6 + 4, Snow Leopard will boot into a 64 bit kernel

I read it from here

http://digital.asiaone.com/Digital/Reviews/Story/A1Story20090902-165144.html

And This is what it saids
    The core kernel in Snow Leopard boots up in 32-bit to ensure compatibility with older applications and device drivers while maintaining performance.

However, it can be forced to boot completely in 64-bit by holding on to the "6" and "4" keys when booting. To date, there are only about 50 applications that are not compatible.

And can you do this is leopard?

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

No, you cannot do it in Leopard. Hence, another reason to upgrade to Snow Leopard and give Apple $29!

3. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yes.

To verify you are in 64-bit mode go to :apple: > About this mac > more info > software and look for the area that says " 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: " It'll say yes or no depending on whether or not you are. Its not that cool. I've only done it once. I think my machine was actually a bit unstable.

5. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

You sure about this

6. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

7. NP3 macrumors regular

I read on gizmodo (can't find the link) that the reason it doesn't boot the kernel itself in 64bit is that its only for the greatly increased memory capacity, which wouldn't do anything for a computer that isn't a Mac Pro. So it only does it on these computers, which makes sense. The rest of the libraries and operating system is 64bit.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

LoL I have no reason to lie. Perhaps its my peculiar hardware choice, I dunno, but nothing in 64-bit mode made me say "wow everytime I boot my macbook pro I am going to make darn sure I hold down the '6' and the '4' key because its that good!", nor should it have. My hardware is limited at 6 Gb anyway.