is it true, new rMBP on july 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kaheicanaan, Jun 25, 2014.

1. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. imm22 macrumors regular

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Actually Intel has new processors ready. The 4760HQ and 4860HQ CPUs were launched in Q1 and Q2 of 2014, and would be natural speed bumps for the current 15'' models.

I don't see an equivalent upgrade path for the 13'' rMBP. However that one could easily be "bumped" by upgrading the RAM to 8 GB in the base model, and maybe some price adjustments in the upgraded models.

If Apple already knows that they will only be able to offer significant upgrades to their model line in 2015 (Broadwell), the above would make sense to make the current models more attractive for back-to-school sales.

Also there still is the option for a retina Air.

That all being said, I don't consider the source for this rumour very reliable...

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I guess that would be kind of like the 100MHz speed bump the Airs received recently. It would really only be worth holding off your purchase if Apple also dropped their prices on the MPBs.

7. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

Doubtful, they really have nothing new to put in it yet. If a new one does come out in July it won't be anything exciting so might as well buy one now, you'd still be in the return window if they did and you could return your current one for the "new" one.

8. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

Absolutely not. If anything Apple will release a minor CPU increase when Yosemite launches this fall, and come pre loaded with it for there late '14 release. Then release the Broadwell line in Early '15. I can't see Apple not releasing a new rMBP at all in 2014.

9. BlueXIII macrumors newbie

10. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

That's not a leaked roadmap, but a prediction made by an analyst, Ming Chi Kuo.

Kuo has a history of making accurate predictions, but they are still just that, predictions.

11. imm22 macrumors regular

It seems that there is some convergence to a July upgrade.
    Apple can surprise everyone with that amazing year of 2014 in product releases that Tim Cook talks about

12. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I highly doubt it. Broadwell will be here before the holidays and I imagine Apple will want to jump on that bandwagon as soon as possible.

13. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

So what's the biggest reason apple might leave its current schedule and not release one in a couple days?

14. leman macrumors 604

That article is full of crap. They even mention Alpine Ridge, which is not due until 2015...

15. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

Better not! Just got mine yesterday! As long as it's after August I'm cool with getting my 2013 model.

16. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Anyone? I ask because I wonder what waiting would afford...

17. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

There isn't one.

18. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Thanks, and does that mean they'll skip the slight update within the next week or so?

19. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

This is based on the fact that Best Buy's sale on Macs ends on July 13th, and seemingly nothing else. The product roadmap linked to elsewhere in this thread from the Kuo guy puts an rMBP update around October.

It's tough to say when a minor update would happen, though. The introduction of the back to school promotion would seem like a good time for that to me.

20. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

As did I. I had to replace my mid 2009 MBP and I can't see substantial improvements to the rMBPs for at least six months, and I got a 10% discount on mine (which is quite good for Apple in NZ, where most computer sales explicitly exclude Apple products).

I figure that the discount I got when averaged over the cost per year for the lifetime of the thing won't leave me any worse off, even if I replace it a year earlier than planned.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

22. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

Yea I got a good price as well. $2,220 + $135 tax for the $2600 model. Best buy had $130 and I used a 10% off coupon. Tried to get $150 more off via student discount coupon but they wouldn't stack with the 10% off one.