is it true that old 2.66 mac pro better then new one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by digital kemical, Jan 16, 2008.

1. digital kemical macrumors newbie

someone said the old macpro 2.66 has 2 FSB at a lower speed then new mac pro only shares 1 FSB for the chipset, does this make the older mac pro better?

While Apple has standardized on 8-Core Mac Pros as the "base" model, they actually do offer a single 2.8GHz Quad-Core CPU Mac Pro option for $2299.
    Just a note for all you out there, this means that the new 2.8 GHz "quad-core" model has a single four core processor sharing a single 1600 MHz bus, whereas the previous-generation "quad-core" models had two dual-core processors on two separate 1333 MHz busses. This means that for bus-intensive, multi-threaded operations, the old models will perform better. Yes, even the old 2.66 GHz model will likely be able to outrun the new 2.8 GHz model.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I'd wait for benchmarks before basing a purchase decision on it, though I you are probably just curious (as am I), but it goes for anyone wondering. I certainly wouldn't sell an older system to buy a single quad core MP.

I'm sure someone will do thorough benchmarking at some point.