iPhone X Is it true that turning off Screen Time noticeably improve the battery time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TNThomas, Oct 28, 2018.

1. TNThomas macrumors 6502a

TNThomas

Several people told me this. They got noticeably more time out of a charge when turning Screen Time off. Has anyone here experienced the same?

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Some have said this and supposedly experienced it, while others supposedly haven't.

3. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

I haven’t found this to be true on any of my devices.

4. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Theoretically, it's a some sort of "service" which eats some CPU time in order to log the data, so I would say yes - the real question is by how much.

5. Dave-Z macrumors 6502a

Indeed. But this type of process would require so little CPU time that I can't imagine any tangible, real-would difference.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You phone's battery should last all day with typical use. You should not have to turn features off to get though a day . . . that is unless you are living on your phone.

7. white4s macrumors 68000

Screen time is that type of thing only for phone addicts. It's pointless for people that aren't hooked on their phones.

8. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Except that it provides a variety of other things as well (even restrictions are now part of Screen Time).

9. scottcampbell macrumors regular

Your phone always recorded usage, even before Screen Time. Remember how you could see which apps where using what percentage of your battery?

10. white4s macrumors 68000

Restrictions for what though. It's my phone so only I use it

11. C DM, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018

C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Your usage can certainly be different than that of others. I was pointing out that screen time isn't just some thing that's there "only for phone addicts".

12. now i see it macrumors 68040

Screen Time is another active background process. Background processes require power. How much? Test it and see.

13. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

14. tops2 macrumors 6502

I'm indifferent to screen time, but wish they didn't move the restrictions. I have really small kids, so I setup stuff like not allowing deleting apps and no IAP allowed.

15. now i see it macrumors 68040

Even if you don't have kids or anyone else using the phone, it's a good idea to set up a restriction for the PHONE to not accidentally delete apps. I turn "prevent deleting apps" on in restrictions to prevent accidental app deletion.

It has happened to me in the past where a couple apps just deleted themselves (Numbers app) with all their data. The phone must have not locked when I put it in my pocket and all mayhem let loose. . And stuff got deleted.
    Learned my lesson.

16. Dave-Z macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I do the same thing.

I don't want screen time, but I disable deleting apps and modifying accounts; now I have to use the stupid screen time feature just because I want that little extra piece of mind.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 29, 2018 ---
    I've fallen asleep while using my iPad and woke up to the "Are you sure you want to delete <app name>?" modal. Somehow I managed to get to the home screen, long press an app, and tap the X by simply resting my hand on the screen.