Is it true?!? (that you can use an iPhone on Verizon)

MacbookWoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Tampa, Fl
I was told you can now unlock the iphone and use it on Verzion?? Can someone please confirm? I just got into a huge arguement that its not possible. Only with T-Mobile you can unlock the iphone and use it.

I have never seen anyone using an iphone under Verizon. Can someone please confirm this?

Thanks, Woo

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Not possible to use with Verizon.

"Maybe" it will be possible when Verizon goes to 4G, but that implementation isn't likely to be widespread until about 2012.

QualComm does have a chip that will allow both GSM and CDMA that could be implemented in the iPhone, but Apple has little or no reason to do that unless they anticipate a deal with Verizon after their agreement with ATT expires in mid 2010. And given the sales hype rhetoric with Verizon directly targeting the iPhone, I'm skeptical that there will ever be a Verizon iPhone. Steve Jobs has a long memory and isn't likely too be to keen on Verizon tweaking his nose as it is.

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY
I was told you can now unlock the iphone and use it on Verzion?? Can someone please confirm? I just got into a huge arguement that its not possible. Only with T-Mobile you can unlock the iphone and use it.

I have never seen anyone using an iphone under Verizon. Can someone please confirm this?

Thanks, Woo
Troll :rolleyes:

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
How about Sprint?
LOL Don't give noobs any ideas.

*Edit*
For any users not familiar with cellular network technology, Sprint and Verizon currently use a technology called CDMA and they are the last two major CDMA only carriers in North America. AT&T and T-Mobile in the US, Fido,Rogers, Telus and Bell (in Canada) all have GSM and/or HSPA network that are compatible with the iPhone in one mode or another. CDMA and GSM/HSPA are not compatible with each other. CDMA is a North American standard with HSPA/GSM is used all over the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.