Is it true that you can wash the iMac's wireless keyboard?

TJ82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Most my keys aren't working after spilling coffee on it last night (big ***** spider attacked me and coffee went everywhere).

I saw some guys in threads saying they washed the keyboard under a tap and dried it out. Are they serious? Thinking to give it a try if I can get some reassurance.

koulmj

Suspended
Mar 18, 2013
Most my keys aren't working after spilling coffee on it last night (big ***** spider attacked me and coffee went everywhere).

I saw some guys in threads saying they washed the keyboard under a tap and dried it out. Are they serious? Thinking to give it a try if I can get some reassurance.
I would just bite the bullet and get a new keyboard.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Water and electronics don't mix. I definitely would not recommend doing this.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado

I'm not sure that's a great idea.

I would dab the keyboard with moist towel and just rub it clean as much as possible. Use moist Q-tips to clean in between the keys and the cracks to clean out the sticky coffee residue. Q-tips moistened with alcohol is the best way to clean off residue in the cracks, since (rubbing) alcohol dries very quickly.

Then let it air dry for a day or two. Should be fine, hopefully.

A spider attacked you while you were on the computer?

Was it kinda like this?

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
The washed keys I know about were the older wired versions with switches.
Success rate was good. If you try it on a BT membrane key, make sure you're ready to buy a new one if/when it fails.

Coffee is 2 feet to the left and never held over the key, cause Spidey Is Watching ;)

Bodie CI5

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2014
Damn you, Solomani! :mad:

THANKFULLY coffee mug was on table and MBA on lap...

In Indiana Jones voice: "Spiders. Why'd it have to be spiders?"

And so, I shall never enter this thread again :(

But, at the same time I can see your black humour, and almost laughed, even IF I want to non-violently beat you up with rose petals or something :D

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Just wash it with a wet rag. But if the coffee did damage then there's nothing you can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.