Is it true that you cant install Snow Leopard on current Macs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LeandrodaFL, Jan 1, 2012.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Is it true that you cant install Snow Leopard on current Macs, like the latest sandy bridge MacMini?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

If the Mac was released after Lion was released, SL won't support the hardware, as why would it need to, the machines ships with the latest OS.

If the machine was released prior to Lion but now ships with Lion, SL will support the hardware, but you'd have to buy the correct version numbered disc in order to install it-

For example, my MBP shipped with SL, I have a SL retail disc from when SL was first released (bought a good 6-8 months before my MBP came out), the disc will not boot on my MBP, because the version is too early for my machine and there's no support on there to let it boot.

3. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

This is crazy, you can install Windows XP and Vista on a current Mac, but not Snow Leopard??????

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Why is it crazy? It's like having a PC ship with 7, but you revert to Vista, it doesn't make sense to downgrade if you've already got the latest software... Do you actually even NEED Snow Leopard, or is this just one of those threads without any point? Cause if so I've said all I can be bothered to say.

5. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

My current generation iMac shipped with SL installed, and of course came with the SL DVDs. I upgraded to Lion using the app store and the 'up to date' program, so can I assume that the SL DVDs will work on my machine if I want to revert back to SL?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't install a version of Mac OS X earlier than what came with your Mac

Don't install a version of Mac OS X earlier than what came with your Mac

7. Schtumple, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Yes that will work just fine, although I think you'll need to format the hard drive in order to do so, using Time Machine to backup your stuff then Migration Assistant to transfer it all over, there's no easy downgrade option tbh, they're all tedious.

Of note OP, "May not start up past the Apple logo" is the most common problem I've come across. Good luck in your crusade to downgrade (awesome rhyme there), but I really don't understand why you you want to when there's no real need to downgrade.

8. simsaladimbamba

For many users Lion has been not a good update and took some things away, that made life easier. For me it is Spaces and Exposé, they have now been dumbed down to Mission Control.
    As I use 12 Spaces, MC is not for me, maybe if I can go down to four Spaces, but even then, one little row with all Spaces is ***** compared to three rows of Spaces on the whole screen.
    If I ever need a new computer, which will be in two to three years, I will be seriously hampered, as my workflow relies on Spaces. I probably will save up and get an early 2011 MBP or iMac via the refurbished route this year.

9. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I happen to think Lion is a downgrade from Snow Leopard, they removed Expose and Spaces and changed many things.

It is crazy that you can install the current Windows version (7) and a 2006 version (Vista) and a 2001 version of Windows (XP) but you cannot install any older version of OS X on a Macintosh.. it doesnt make sense at all...

Its like a PS3 being able to play super nintendo but not PS2

If you love Lion, thats great, Im sure it a great OS, but I simply would like to be able to upgrade hardware and keep my favorite OS.

10. astrorider macrumors 6502

BTW, Bootcamp in Lion only supports installing Windows 7. You may be able to workaround this by installing drivers from the Snow Leopard days depending on your machine, but that's kind of irrelevant to this discussion. Only Windows 7 is supported on Lion, not Vista or XP.

11. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Oh, did not know that, I tought they kepts vista and xp possibility, as all 3 versions are supported under snow leopard (as far as i know), sorry for the mistake