Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
My brother and I are looking into how to play PS1 games together and wondering if it’s true that my Pismo G3 would be able to do the trick. If so, what software do we use, how can we plug in our PlayStation controllers, and do we play from ROMs or CD?

thanks!

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
ePSXE for Windows is probably the GOAT as far as PSX emulators go. The Android port is pretty good as well.

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Now, it sounds like you're looking for Connectix Virtual Game Station, which can be picked up over on Macintosh Garden. I never used it for Mac, and really, you're going to have a much better time with ePSXE, or even whatever PS1 emulator comes with Retroarch. Can you emulate PS1 games on your hardware? Probably. At full speed? Maybe. Is it the best? Absolutely not. It just had better game support at the time it was in active development, something that ended about 20 years ago.

Reactions: AphoticD

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I haven't actually used a PS1 emulator on a Mac. I've used PS2 emulators, and they play PS1 games. The PS1 and PS2 are the same architecture, the PS2 is just better. Sorta like the PS4 and PS5 will be. They're both MIPS iirc.

I have used an N64 emulator, I used to play N64 games on my iBook G3 500Mhz all the time.

For the record, the best experience is an actual PS2. Pick yourself up a Phat PS2, stick a HDD in it and load it up with games. I've got a 160GB in mine and its a blast :cool:

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I seem to recall CVGS for OS9 worked great on my clamshell iBook G3 back when it was new, but haven’t tried it in nearly 20 years.

I don’t think it worked with iso files though and required a disc to play, but I could be wrong.

There was a version of PCSX for PPC which worked great on Leopard (and possibly Tiger). Version 1.5 or 1.6 IIRC.

Reactions: Project Alice

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
i know this is a PPC thread, but the latest OpenEMU for osx work just fine with PS1 games. for the past few months i have been playing Final Fantasy 7 on it with no issues. Just need the bios files from the PS1 and the game images and your golden

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.