Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I thought I remember reading this somewhere but maybe it was just a rumor after all

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
It worked great on my 5s and it works great now as well. I haven't seen an improvement as i didn't have any issues before.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
never had an issue with my 5s.. it works perfectly. but i do notice an improvement in responsiveness, it responds quicker and efficiency, it just works, no errors.

DmbShn41

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Supposedly some enhancements to Touch ID. It does feel snappier on the 6+ than my 5S did previously, hundredths of a second faster?. Worth noting, I never experienced the 'severe dropoff of Touch ID oerformance' that was claimed.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I come from a 5s and it worked perfectly then and it works perfectly now. Maybe a slight speed difference in recognition but is very small.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
TouchID on the 5S was wonky for a while on iOS 7, but it got much better with an update to iOS 7. On the iPhone 6 Plus so far, it has not failed once. It's very fast and always accurately detects my prints.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Like a couple of others already noted, Touch ID on the 6 seems to register a lot more quickly on the 6 than it does my 5s. Both work well, but the 6 seems to respond to touch almost instantly.

anaisamy

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
I thought I noticed a difference in touch ID on my 5S when I upgraded to iOS 8. I often had issues with the phone not recognizing my thumb so I'd have to use my index finger and that seemed to go away after iOS 8, but maybe I was just holding it differently - who knows. I've had the 6+ less than 24 hours, so it's hard to say for sure, but I do know that the phone recognized every single time I put my finger or thumb to the touch ID to unlock the phone. No issues whatsoever yet.

Last edited:

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
works well using my thumb...though I didn't have the 5s before so not sure how it worked then

This thread asked if it was better than the 5s. So what is the value of a response like this?

Sometimes I wonder how......

NEVER MIND

highlightshadow

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I'm finding TouchID marginally faster at unlocking on my iP6 than 5S ... not a lot but just perceptibly faster ... reliability / sustained print recognition will remain to be seen

In terms of registration ... i think that was a lot faster... again this could be either an improved sensor or simply a faster encoding algorythm in the A8 making it process the data quicker

Definitely felt faster between touches registering my prints just now

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
With iOS8 Beta's on my 5s for the past several months I can say Touch ID was working PERFECTLY. I would sit there and test it time after time rotating my thumb to different angles and it would work every time. Seeing the same thing with iOS8 on the 6.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
In terms of registration ... i think that was a lot faster... again this could be either an improved sensor or simply a faster encoding algorythm in the A8 making it process the data quicker

Definitely felt faster between touches registering my prints just now

I agree, registering my prints was much faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.