Is it true you can restore your JB phone to that iOS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Oct 11, 2016.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I was talking to a guy who used to work at the Apple Store and he said that you can keep an older version of iOS and remove your jailbreak without restoring to the current version of iOS. Is this true, and if so is it easy to do?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

I don't believe that's the case really, not unless that iOS version is still being signed by Apple and your can basically install a fresh version of it.

You are likely better off asking this in the jailbreaking section of the forums.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah that's what I asked him, wouldn't you need the shish blobs or whatever?

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Those haven't really played much of a role in some time, not unless you basically have a much older device (like iPhone 4 or 4s or earlier and perhaps an older iOS version as well), and even then it's not really something that always applies.

5. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

'cydia impactor' will completely wipe your phone and leave it on the version you are currently running.

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Damn, will I then be able to safely get my screen replaced at Apple without the phone needing to he restored to the latest version for calibration? If so I need to go back to batteries plus and get a refund so I can use my Applecare Plus spend $29 and get an OEM screen. Is that all possible?

7. Mlrollin91, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016

Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Wouldn't erase all settings and content achieve what the OP is asking. You are technically "restoring" as new to the current iOS version on the device.

8. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Erasing all settings and content is a BIG no-no on a jailbroken iPhone. Cydia Eraser (formerly known as Cydia Impactor) is the way to go.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Hmm. I wouldn't know, never jailbroken. What does it do?

10. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I don't have a good, technical explanation, but it will leave you with restoring via iTunes being your only option to get your phone working again.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2016 ---
    Many have lost their jailbreaks by erasing all...

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Ah okay. Good to know. OP don't listen to my original post, I 'striked' it out.

12. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

There would be no reason for Apple to deny service on the phone. Hopefully restoring the phone isn't part of the calibration process.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

14. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

It bricks the phone...
    Don't come giving someone advice if you have no idea what the hell you're talking about

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Will it allow me to re-jailbreak it on iOS 8.1.1 and get all my old tweaks back afterward?

16. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

yep! that's why it was designed.

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I didn't give advice, I asked a question. I then proceeded to strike it out. Starting a sentence with the word 'wouldn't' implies a question.

"Wouldn't erase all settings and content achieve what the OP is asking. You are technically "restoring" as new to the current iOS version on the device."

18. werked macrumors regular

werked

19. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

It appears to me that you told the OP to erase all content and settings, and then someone told you that it doesn't work, and then you said ~"Well I didn't know"

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like the original reply was to my post and basically more of a question/follow up to what I said. It's a discussion, and that's essentially how things work in a discussion. It looks like that's all been hashed out more than well enough at this point and we can all move on (as many already have).

21. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

If
    CDM - in addition to the brightness and other issues I've mentioned the touch screen on my new digitizer is not responding 30% of the time, I have to hit sleep and turn the screen back on several times to get it to work every time that happens. Now that I know I can use that JB tweak to restore my phone temporarily to iOS 8 and then re-jailbreak it I want to just return the screen to batteries +. How will that work though if they no longer have my cracked screen, will Apple replace my phone w no screen on it or am I stuck w batteries +? I hope they can fix this if that's the case, this is awful.