Is it true...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macswitcha2, Dec 2, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

that Macs do not require CD installations for printers? When getting a new printer do Macs identify the connection and works with it?

Also, if a printer is wireless compatible, do macs simply pick it up like it would do a wifi network?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

For the most part it's true. You still have to go through the add printer steps in the printer pref pane. It can and does find networked printers.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It depends on the printer/manufacturer. Many inkjets, or combination printers will require drivers, because most don't have a common language. However, if the printer came out prior to the last OS release (or update) then the drivers are included in OS X. Laserprinter, with few exceptions, use the same printing language, PostScript, those will 99% of the time work with no issues on a Mac. Wireless printers are the same answer, as it still depends on the language the printer speaks.

TEG

4. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

So just plug in the printer to see and pop in the cd?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try it without the cd first. Use the default printer pref pane in System Preferences.

6. wpotere Guest

eh..... I have found that most of the inkjets have limited functionality using the Apple drivers. It is best just to use the setup disk that comes with the printer or download the latest from the company web page. You will get all teh functionality that way.

7. macswitcha2, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

ok, I have the printer so what must I do in Preference? I went to Print & Fax option and I see in the Printer pain Adobe PDF 9.0 which is not my printer. Ok, I downloaded the driver but still no print.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

With the printer plugged in, to have to click the little plus. It'll search for your printer. Then just follow what it says.

9. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm going to leave this alone for now. But seems like the belief that anything works with a mac is but a myth. Looks like I'm going to have to use the CD. I already tried it with my macbook and I only installed the drivers but it skipped the network option so the only way I can print is through USB cable. Looks like the cd wants to have me install all of its software. I printed what I wanted but I'm going to have to put this on hold until I figure out how to work the printer via wifi without installing the software that comes with the cd. If not, then I have to stomach putting stuff in my mac that I wont use just so I can print. Little disappointed that my mac is not living up to the hype.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

For the most part Macs do just work. A little disappointed that the everyday user can't solve simple problems.

11. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I, coming from windows, tried using the CD installation for my Canon printer on my iMac. It did not work properly. I deleted the install and went straight to settings. It took maybe a minute or two to set it up. Everything I needed was already there. I agree with what another poster said about going for it without the CD first.

On a side note, the scan function of the printer took a little bit of coercion to work properly. Luckily if I really care about what I am scanning I will insert an SD card into my printer and the sitaution is resolved.

12. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simple or serious, why is there problems in the first place? Are you insinuating that I'm the problem?

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

(my take)

You're reading too much into the words. The poster is simply saying that printer setup should be simple enough for the everyday user to manage. Seeing as it isn't the case it is a failure on the part of OS X.

That aside, what printer, and how is it connected to your computer?

14. macswitcha2, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I did read it that that at first but was not sure since there are a few jerks on here. BTW, it is simple if you do it the company's way but that's just it, I don't want to load my machine with uselessness.

The printer is a Canon MP495 all-in-one and I'm about to connected via USB.

Ok, using the USB Cable my iMac picks it up and I'm able to print. However, how do I get it to wirelessly print, which is where the frustration is about.

15. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

BTW how do I uninstall what I installed from the CD on my macbook?

16. wpotere Guest

Actually yes.... Apple, like Microsoft, can't be expected to write drivers for every vendor. Just go to the printer venders website and download the latest drivers. How hard is that? For the most part many printers will function with limited ability by simply plugging it in but if the printer is newer than the OS, it is likely that it won't work.

Removal of installed products varies on Mac. You should read the documentation on the CD and it should give you a process to uninstall it.

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It has been a while, but I have an MX860 on my network that I print to wirelessly. It was a pain to configure initiailly even in Vista.

Is the printer already configured to connect to your router? Does it work successfully with Windows? Or is this a new install?

B

18. wpotere Guest

First, you can install just the driver and not all the extra software with Canon. They have never forced you to install the extras..(unlike HP)

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...ixma_mp_series/pixma_mp495#DriversAndSoftware

You can get the latest drivers above, just select Mac OSX..... Pretty simple.

Secondly, in order to get my printer to work wirelessly I had to connect it first and install the driver then disconnect it and connect it wirelessly. Bit of a pain, but it does work.

19. animatedude macrumors 65816

if i'm going to add a printer from the system preference, the IP address should be the same as the IP address on the Network settings?

20. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, the instructions told me to do some things on the printer itself in which I did and baically it printed out code for me but don't know where I should put the code at.

21. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

Your installation Cd might have an uninstall feature. Otherwise you can just drag it from finder or applications to the trash. There is the possibility that there are residual files in random places, there are programs such as CleanMyMac and such that will find those files and dispose of them.

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I seem to recall that dance as well, connect via USB, make changes reboot, etc... Trying that in both OS X and Vista at the time.

Didn't work for me as I recall.

I ended up just using my Vista box to create a thumb drive with all the right settings on it. Something like: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/windowsconnectnow.mspx and using that to set up the printer.

B

23. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1