Is it typical for Apple... (next refresh)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryuukumori, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

That the speed bumped MBPs (whenever they are released), will get dedicated video RAM upgrades? That is, the base model with 512MB, and the mid range + 17" 1GB? I know this is a bit awkward to say now because 17" MBPs haven't been in stores and people are still waiting for them (while I'm asking about a refresh...)

I doubt this will happen with dedicated video RAM, but what about upgraded GPUs and same video RAM? Ideas?

Sorry if this is more of a speculation, but I am timing myself around the time to buy a new MBP for school this summer. Oh, and one more ultimate question:

Nehalem is supposed to be released in mobile notebooks in Q4 '09. That means Apple will see this more like Q1 or Q2 '10? I am a tad worried I'm getting the last refresh of Core 2 Duo, but it's the time I need to buy for college and such.

Thanks everyone.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Absolutely no idea, but 512MB seems pretty good so they probably won't increase it.

3. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

4. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't matter if they did, because the 9600M can barely even utilise 256mb of VRAM. 512mb is more than sufficient for the 9600M. 1GB would just be plain useless.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Video ram doesn't equal to more performance unless your running a 60" screen with like 10000x8000 pixels.

6. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so the 2.53 ghz mbp is great! Thanks for your input. I'm curious to see what a refresh has to offer, though I'm not concerned because I might be purchasing anytime from as early as next month.