Is it weird that I like the SE screen more?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael Goff, May 16, 2016.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I don't know what it is, but something about the colors just look better. It's not just the size. Am I crazy?

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Maybe a bit weird, but since the difference between the 4/4s's display and the 5/5s's is much greater than the 5/5s's and 6/6s's, it's not as weird as someone who likes the original retina displays better :D

3. osta.doc macrumors member

As this is my first iPhone, I can't compare it to other iPhone. But watching videos look great to me, smaller yes, but great.

4. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

From a review that just published today:

http://anandtech.com/show/10285/the-iphone-se-review/4

Color accuracy is excellent on the SE that Anandtech evaluated. The only weakness of the SE's panel is contrast that is relatively low compared to the competition.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I had a screen once on my 17" PowerBook G4 that I sent off as a spare part to someone else for their 17" PowerBook G4. Best screen I've ever had for my A1013. Rich color, dark blacks and vibrant despite having been about 12 years old at the time I shipped it.

I miss that screen. The one on my current 17" PowerBook is good, but not as good as that one.

I'm typing this on a 2001 PowerMac G4 Quicksilver.

Is all this wierd?

;)

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Not at all, there's something strangely cool about using technology that was once top-of-the-line past it's "due date" so to speak.

7. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Intersting. I often think about the contrast in some lightning conditions, but I have to admit most of the time I think about how great that screen looks.

I also am happy about the more limited viewing angle. I look over at some people's 6 & 6 Plus and can see everything they're doing -- in some cases things they probably would prefer I not see. I'll take a more confined viewing angle any day for more privacy.

8. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

9. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

A little odd. I prefer cooler screens but I do know some people who prefer the warmer ones.

10. umbrokhan macrumors member

I like iphone 6s and 6s plus screen.
    And I will be even more happy when iphone 8 will get OLED screen or Amoled screen by samsung next year with no bezels.
    Best screen is super Amoled panels.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I would like this week's winning PowerBall lottery numbers please!

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

Yup. Weird.

I think the 6+ Plus has the best display right now among all iPhones. Not because it is bigger by "1.5 or better contrast, but because it has Full HD. I notice the sharpness when reading texts. There is a noticeable difference for me between 720p vs 1080p. I can live on 720p forever but I know it isn't quite sharp with ebooks compared to the FHQ and QHD screens.

It is weird you prefer a display that is generally the same from the 5s but we won't blame you for preferring it.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Crazy? No. You like what you like. I don't see much of a difference in color reproduction. I do notice resolution, which I didn't think I would.

14. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

Start using a super amoled screen than talk about colors

15. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I used an S6 for a few months. I could use it today if I wanted. I don't.

16. MrGuder macrumors 68020

The only problem with the SE display is the contrast ratio it is much lower than the 6s. I have both and use each, 6s on the weekends and SE during the week. The phones work exactly the same for me the only difference is the contrast, I usually need to turn the brightness up much farther on the SE than the 6s.

The SE is such a pleasure to use during the week as I can hardly feel it in my pocket and works great wearing business clothes. The 6s is great for the display and the weekends when I have more time to play around with watching u tube videos etc. it's also great that since both are using the same Apple ID I can synch all my photos between each other.

If Apple keeps the 4" display and upgrades the display contrast on the SE 2 I will trade up in a heartbeat.

17. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

Not weird at all, but my question is, does your PowerBook have any issues or is it perfectly fine?

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's perfectly fine.

It's actually the third A1013 I've had and this one I got in perfect condition. I know there are the DLSDs out there (1.67Ghz) but this Mac was the first 17" model I ever noticed and my first eBay auction win so I'm kind of partial to the model. :)

19. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

Cool, but do you ever use a newer MacBook if you need to, or do you solely use older tech?

20. zombiecakes macrumors regular

colors are nice but the black level is pretty awful, they need to go to OLED sooner rather than later

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have a 2006 MBP (17") that I switch back and forth with when I go out with a laptop.

At home it's my PowerMac. The early Intels are only just now falling into my price range (less than $200) so that's all I can truly afford.

I do use a 2010 MacPro at work though. I'm typing this on it. I have a large amount of autonomy where I work so I put the MP to work when I need a newer Mac for something.

Funny thing though, Yosemite can't do AppleTalk so one of our G4s running Leopard acts a a print server so the MP can print. ;)