Is it wise? 15" vs 17" or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by auero, Dec 13, 2009.

  1. auero macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    #1
    Heres the deal. I own a current revision 15" macbook pro. I'm craving the larger screen (17") because this is my main machine. Portability isn't really an issue as I usually only move from my desk to my bed. I don't really sit at coffee shops etc where it would be a hassle.

    So would it smart to sell my 15 now and get the 17" or wait for the next revision? If its just a minor speed bump I'm not really worried about it but if it's something that'll be noticeable faster maybe I should wait?
     
  2. shambo macrumors 6502a

    shambo

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2009
    #2
    I could never part with my BadBoy Pro. It's Apples sweetspot.
     
  3. macfrik macrumors 6502

    macfrik

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2009
    Location:
    Utah
    #3
    The next revision would be in January or February. If I were you, I would wait for the next revision, but if you really cant wait for the 17" screen, buy now.
     
  4. krimsen macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2005
    #4
    I upgraded my first-gen 15 incher to a 17" 2 months ago due to the same reasons. But since your 15" is the current rev, I'd definitely wait for the next one if I were you.
     
  5. Jasonscott71 macrumors member

    Jasonscott71

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #5
    I'd wait for the next revision since you're 15" is current. You can live without 17" for a few more months. If you couldn't, you wouldn't have the 15" one now.
     
  6. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    #6
    I appreciate all the comments. I can live without the 17" for sure. I just figured now would be the best time to sell to get the best money in return. My biggest concern was is the update going to be 'big' enough to make me regret my purchase.
     
  7. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2008
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #7
    Contrary to others, I'd say that if you're interested, go ahead and buy now. The unibody design is relatively new still (October '08), so it's not as though the next revision is going to be life-changing. And I also think that a difference in processor speed isn't going to be life-changing either. If you want it, now's a fine time to get it.
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    Why not just buy a larger external monitor. That way you'll get to enjoy the increased screen real estate when working at your desk and not impact your portability that the 15" provides.

    Irregardless, I'd not look to sell your current MBP for a 17", you'll lose too much money in the process.
     
  9. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    #9
    I already have an external display but that's all great when sitting at my desk. (well kind of, it's starting to go out on me :( so I figure the extra money I'll spend to replace it I can use for a new macbook pro after selling this one).

    It would be a loss but if it helps me do my work I suppose it would be worth it.

    edit: Actually! I'm just looking at the prices and I don't know what I was thinking!! It's nearly a $650 loss for me!

    Thanks for all the replies but that's deffinetly more than enough to spend on a new external screen.
     
  10. joe biggs macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    #10
    if you end up getting the 17"
    would you consider selling me your old 15
     
  11. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    #11
    Surely, you can PM me and we can discuss that further.
     
  12. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #12
    Sounds like you have your mind made up, so then get it, but as others mentioned. Apple is on the cusp of updating its line, so keep that in mind when you opt to buy it.
     
  13. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    #13
    I'm going to hold off for now until january 1st. My friend who works for apple gets friends and family discounts (limited) and they refresh in 2010. It's at least 15% so I'm going to buy it through her. Plus I thought of the fact that if something new comes out theres always the chance I'll want it and when its so close in time its not worth it.
     

Share This Page