Is it wise to purchase your Macbook online?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 11blue, Feb 18, 2008.

1. 11blue macrumors member

i was wondering if it would be a good idea to purchase your Macbook online? Currently, I have no Student ID for my school that I attend. Therefore, it would be tricky to buy a Macbook in the store. So, my next alternative is to buy one online. How likely is it that it may mess up during shipping? Is that common? Has anyone here ordered online? And is there a way to prove I am a student in the store, without a student ID? Thanks everyone!

2. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

i got mine online, it shipped fedex, signature required. no problems.

plus i like that i got to "explore" it on my own, i didn't want to go to the store and have someone show me a ton of stuff and then get home and feel like i didn't have a new computer anymore. like when you buy a car and the salesman shows you every little thing, as opposed to just driving off the lot and discovering a new easter egg every other day for two weeks.

3. aforty macrumors 65816

Who still worries about buying things online?

Honestly now, you got nothing to worry about. It's really not that serious.

4. alljunks macrumors regular

5. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Apple's pretty good about shipping things correctly, so I wouldn't worry if you have to get it online.

As far as getting the edu price in store without an ID, you might be out of luck. Worst case scenario, request an enrollment verification from your school's provost. Its the same thing that they have to provide to employers, so if that isn't good enough for someone at an Apple Store, the nothing will be.

Or you could just ask nicely. One of the two :D

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

When I ordered my MBP on the phone, I just told them that my mom is an educator (yes, she is) and they gave me the discount.

If you ever buy stuff from AcademicBookstore.com, they require some sort of proof (probably because you can save many hundreds of dollars on stuff).

7. mbrydone macrumors regular

i've never had a problem ordering things from the Apple education store online and I have never proven my student status...never any problems with shipping mess ups either

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

My family have purchased several Macs via the online store and the online education store over the last few years, and we've never had a problem.

9. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Don't worry about it, Apple are very good at shipping orders correctly.

10. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

Going to be ordering mine online since I want to use the Student Discount.

11. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

I phoned up Apple and placed the order with my student discount, simply because my internet at my place was down, otherwise I'd have done it online. The guy on the phone was really helpful.

In the UK Apple use UPS for shipping, came next day of dispatch, no marks / dents on the packaging.

The machines themselves are very well packed, they can't move around at all and have a good 3-5 inches of padding to protect them from toss pots man handling them.

12. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I bought several thing online. A few macs and some gear from the apple store and some stuff from other online stores. Never had any problem.

13. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

If you're not going to get an educational discount, I recommend buying it online from Amazon. They occasionally offer rebates and you will probably not pay sales tax. They also have a great return policy.

14. mchank macrumors regular

Seconded, Amazon has great customer service hands down.