Is it worth a shot?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zackkmac, Jun 23, 2010.

1. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I was placed on RadioShack's list as #3 for an iPhone 4, back when my store didn't know what they were getting or if they were even getting any. I was behind 2 people with PIN's, the only 2 PIN's the store had. The whole time, I've had a reservation with my Apple Store for the 32GB black that I wanted, except the lines will be CRAZY now that AT&T won't allow walk-ins...plus that store is 3 hours away.

Anyways, I got a call today from the RadioShack manager telling me that he will have a 32GB black iPhone 4 in my name on the 24th. I was pretty happy now that I only have to drive 15 minutes and walk in to get it, no lines or anything.

The manager told me I'm allowed to come up there and look at it, and he doesn't care if I buy it by myself as long as I'm an authorized user on the account (which I am) despite the fact that I am 17...this is really good because Apple, Wal-Mart and AT&T all told me they required me to either be 18 or have the account holder there.

Based on what I've written, do you think the manager will let me buy the phone tomorrow, given that I inform him Apple has officially allowed customers to receive theirs 2 days early? I mean I don't really care if I have to wait an extra day, I've been waiting long enough. But I'm going by there tomorrow anyways so it would be nice to get it while I'm there.

2. markthrash macrumors 6502

markthrash

I dunno. I really think that all these stores are going to stick with the official release date. The only company that's really authorized to give out the phone earlier than the 24th is Apple themselves. I wouldn't try it. I'm almost certain they'd say no. But I mean, if you want to. I'm just saying what I would do, personally. I don't think it'd kill you to wait another day, no offense.

3. 41qser macrumors regular

TO MAKE A LONG PAINFUL STORY SHORT AND PAINFUL, NO.

4. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well yeah, that's why I said I don't mind another day. But I sure wouldn't complain if they let me buy it a day earlier than expected! I'm 70% sure they'll say no, but they've been awfully nice to me, the manager told me I was bumped to position #1 yesterday on the list and he was completely fine with me looking at it in person tomorrow.

5. markthrash macrumors 6502

markthrash

Well, I mean, I don't know that Radio Shack manager, so I can't really tell. But if you feel comfortable enough to ask and if he's being that nice, then go for it, dude. I say don't waste your gas, though. Maybe call and say "Well, Apple has been releasing iPhones to customers since the 22nd. Just wondering if you've gotten word on that situation. I was wanting to see if it was okay to pick up my phone today?" or something along those lines.

6. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

True, and that's probably what I'll do. But I have some sort of urge to go down there and ask to see the box, and asking my questions face-to-face.