Is it worth buy a new MBP 15" right now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dezful, Jan 14, 2009.

  1. Dezful macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    #1
    I'm thinking of buying a new Unibody MBP 15" this week but I'm wondering if I should wait in case there is an update. I think the longer battery life of the 17" might be worth waiting for on the 15".

    Any thoughts?
     
  2. slapppy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2008
    #2
    There will always be an update. Thats how it is with computers. As soon as you buy it, its obsolete within a few months. :)

    Thats just the way it goes.
     
  3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2004
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN (USA)
    #3
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

    They did do a refresh on the 15" MBPs recently so you can probably safely bet that there will not be an update for another few months. Personally I'd be surprised to see any MBP updates before August.
     
  4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #4
    Not going to be updated for 6 months, that will be a slight speed boost.

    Integrated longer life batteries: 12 - 14 months.
     
  5. semitry macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2008
    #5
    If they gave the 15" an integrated battery the only thing the 17" would have over it is a higher resolution. They need the 17" to have more value than the 15" to justify the price so I doubt the integrated battery will come for a long time if ever.
     
  6. amac4me macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #6
    The MBP won't be updated until later in the year at the earliest. If you want one now, just buy it now!
     
  7. Dezful thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    #7
    The battery is my main concern, I would hate to buy one and then the battery get updated in the next 2-6 months. Do any of you guys have a unibody MBP 15", if so what is your battery life like?
     
  8. sal macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2007
    #8
    on the battery life setting I get about 4 hours.

    anyways, if the battery gets updated later on, couldn't you just buy it? well assuming they make it a removable. It would be bad if on the 15" upgrade, they integrate the batter like they did on the 17"
     
  9. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2009
    #9
    If you don't use the MBP too much the battery will last a lot...Anyway, you can always change the battery.
     
  10. powz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2007
    #10
    Another thing to consider is that the unibody MBPs are now first generation products, which is often risky. If you can wait, I would suggest waiting for the next revision at least. Not only will Apple have hopefully ironed out initial problems, but you'll obviously get better specs. Also, do some research into possible problems with the 9600 GT, as there have been reports that they may have similar issues as the 8600 GT in the previous MBPs.
     
  11. polaris20 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    #11
    And the 8GB capacity for RAM, which is very significant.
     
  12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #12
    AKA, to my old Mac friends, as the 1st Mac Commandment: "Thou shalt not buy a Revision A."
     
  13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #13
    I've already told you the battery's wont be getting updated for 12 to 14 months.

    You can always buy a second battery.
     
  14. nippyjun macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2007
    #14
    To do the same type of battery on the 15 inch that they did on the 17 inch would probably require some major reengineering of the internal design to make the bigger battery fit. So i doubt that we are going to see that anytime soon as these models are out only for 4 months or so.
     
  15. skaterboardp1 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    #15
    Does anyone think quad cores will come this year
    And when can we all assume the next update will be
     
  16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #16
    Quad cores for the Macbook Pro's will come in about 18 months.

    Firstly the Intel i7's have to come out, then the mobile versions, then i7's have to migrate from dual to quad core, then the mobile i7 quad cores have to come out.
     
  17. svndmvn Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Italy
    #17
    Spring/Summer next update, probably .133GHz CPU bump that I believe 17"s already got.
    Quad-cores, since they're not even being built yet, 4Q 2009-early 2010
     
  18. skaterboardp1 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    #18
    Does anyone think there will be a i7 sort of prpcesaer in the mvp this year
     
  19. EJ123 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2009
    #19
    Maybe we could get the 256GB SSD anytime. ?
     
  20. kolax macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #20
    Stop talking out of your arse. Add the words, "I think..." if you want to be taken seriously.
     
  21. lyl macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    #21
    yes it is
    coz i just bought mine
    it will ship next monday
     
  22. angemon89 macrumors 68000

    angemon89

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Location:
    The place where Apple designs stuff
    #22
    Get a new one on eBay. You can find a sealed box one cheaper than Apple's refurb price of $1699
     
  23. minik macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Bellevue, WA
    #23
    I am in the market of the unibody MacBook Pro, it's actually for my parents. They are currently using a multi-year Toshiba 15-inch (1280x800) notebook. I thought about the 2.53Ghz 15-inch MacBook Pro and then the 17-inch model came out.

    The 17-inch model is nice, however I spent a couple minutes on the previous 17-inch model at the Apple Store. The text on a 1920x1200 pixels display is really hard to cope with. It's perfectly fine on a 24-inch iMac, but not the case on the 17-inch. Since it's for my parents, I shall go with the 15-inch model with only 1440x900 pixels instead, right?

    98 DPI to 133 DPI sounds pretty awful. I wish the native 1680x1050 display is an option on the 17-inch MacBook Pro.
     
  24. Dezful thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    #24
    Unfortunately I'm going to need to buy it around the beginning of February. What are the chances of that? Do you guys think it is worth $300 to upgrade the processor?

    Thanks for all of the help by the way.
     
  25. podiki macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2008
    Location:
    Lagovouni
    #25
    They'd better fix it soon. I'm pining to buy a Mac, but there's not a single mac out there I'd buy at the moment.

    Macbook = ok, except for the screen, viewing angle too small
    Macbook Pro = can't trust the 9600M
    iMac = old graphics cards, probably going to be updated soon
    Mac Pro = low on memory, upgrades costs are higher than the GNP of Ireland

    Darn it, life sure was easier when I was still shopping for pc's to run windows or linux on...
     

Share This Page