Is it worth? Buy or not?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tibber, May 13, 2015.

1. tibber macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm a university student majored in IT. I haven't had any watch on my wrist for the last decade. I'm here to ask your suggestions! Thanks!

2. starbot macrumors regular

You're going to get all sorts of crap in this thread, so let me make it easy.

Definitely not necessary. BUT, if you're an early adopter type, it's pretty cool, and not without its benefits. I use fitness tracking more than I expected. Maps less than I expected (no bike directions!?). Notifications are great. Responding to them is hard.

Perhaps wait until they're stocked at stores, try a sport for 2 weeks, and keep it or return it!

3. gCloud macrumors 6502a

IMHO, if you work out and count calories then yes worth getting.

4. tibber thread starter macrumors newbie

HAHA! I like that last part. The fact you emphasized on the sport part. I don't think I will use that functionality as often.

5. susan12369 macrumors 6502

I think it's a completely personal choice. There are lots of reviews on here, good and bad, and lots of input from people who don't regret their choice (like me), and from people who returned their watch. Totally depends on what you want and expect.

6. 1finite macrumors member

I don't think it's worth $600, but I don't regret buying one. It's easy to spend $600 on a quartz watch that only tells time, and since I've been on the market for a new watch, it was easy to justify buying one that syncs seamlessly with my iPhone and looks good.

7. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

If you have the $, get one of the Sport models. Try it out for 14 days. If you like it, keep it. If not, return it. I really enjoy my SS model.

8. HippieMagic, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015

HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I don't know that I can tell you that it is really worth it, but honestly I find myself using it a LOT more than I expected to. It also feels a lot more natural than I expected. I figured it would feel like a chore at first but it really does seem to compliment the phone well for me. I am definitely happy with my purchase.

Apple Pay was a little more difficult to set up than I expected. I confused the guy at my bank a little but it was all sorted out pretty quickly. I am pretty sure I was his first Apple Pay setup for the watch. I haven't had any other issues at all.

It looks WAY better than I expected. The Milanese Loop is awesome, the SS looks great, the display is awesome, and the size is slightly smaller than most of the Fossil watches I have seen. Overall I am very happy with it. It really depends on whether or not you think it will compliment your life or if it really doesn't do much for you. I definitely don't regret it at all. It is a little more expensive than I would have liked to spend but I don't regret it.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's pure personal choice. I'd say buy and try if you are interested. At least you get that monkey off your back.

I love mine but I'm use to wearing a watch and also hate digging for my iPhone for every text or call.

10. Smartdrive macrumors regular

Buy buy buy, sell sell sell, hold hold hold.

:mad::apple::mad:

HULKSMASH!

11. jjlannoo Suspended

If you love Apple and watches yes. Its one badass watch that lives in Apples eco system. I don't think its a game changer but I really like mine.

12. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Uh if u hate late arrivals of your purchase, let's just say 2 months wait...Move along.

Other than that if you can afford it and u can play with the rest then get one.

13. M-5, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015

M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

It's definitely a personal choice. I'll add my experience.

I was really hyped up about the watch since the announcement. I preordered a 38mm SS w/ Milanese watch, and I love it when it arrived. However, as the days went by, I didn't feel that it added too much functionality for me personally to justify the money I spent on it.

I knew what the watch could and couldn't do beforehand, and I understood that it was a companion device to the iPhone and not supposed to replace it. But many of the things I thought I would use it for were frustrating and required too many steps to do, or just wouldn't work as seamlessly as I thought they would. I was underwhelmed with the way Siri functioned and the early third-party apps.

At its current state, the watch is essentially a notification hub, and acting on most notifications generally requires you to take out and use your iPhone since the experience is generally much better. Trying to act on notifications using the watch from my experience was very crippled and usually much less convenient. During work, I'm at a computer desk most of my hours, so my phone is usually laying on my desk next to me anyways, so the watch didn't add much functionality, since I don't have to fish my phone out of my pocket every time I want to respond or see messages.

Tracking workouts was pretty cool. The reminder to stand feature never worked very well. It often reminded me to stand after I had just sat down from a walk. It's cumbersome to get to glances if you're in another app, since you have to click the crown once to get home, once again to center the home screen, then you have to tap the clock face app, then you slide up to see your glances. It just requires way too many steps. Clicking the crown is also not very ergonomic.

I was also hoping that the watch would let me control music, get directions, and respond to texts with siri in a much safer way than using the iPhone, but I quickly found out how much more dangerous it was. Using "Hey Siri" is not very reliable, and I would not even try to press the crown to activate Siri, since it's not safe. Pressing the home button on the iPhone to activate siri is much more safe since it only requires one hand (while keeping the other safely on the wheel--free to move) and doesn't require you to look at the iPhone at all. Siri is also much more reliable. Also, because the watch face does not reliably turn on when you raise your wrist, it adds another level of distraction and danger.

I'm sure the experience will improve as the software matures, but at the moment, it was difficult for me to justify the price of the watch for the functionality I was receiving. Doing anything other than receiving notifications and tracking fitness is usually much more convenient and useful on the iPhone from my experience. I will say though, that the build quality is amazing.

14. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Easy. Can you afford it? Worth it! Can't afford it? Not worth it.

15. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Or want to get notifications on your wrist.... or want to control your iPhone's music while on the train.... or check the weather without pulling out your phone.... or want to check stocks or pay for something or basically do many other things than I've listed.

gCloud get over it.... if YOU don't like the watch move on and stop commenting in the watch section.

OP it's a personal choice so get it if you don't like it take it back. Easy peasy.

16. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Seems a pricey purchase for a guy still in school. Maybe time to take a pass until you are past the point of taking out student loans. But if you have well to do parents fronting your tuition and some part time work, then by all means go for it.
    But back when I was in school, I would not have bought a device like this.

17. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Who said I dont like the watch, i love it.

18. AFDoc macrumors 68030

My bad I took that statement as sarcasm.

Seen way too many people saying it's a glorified fitbit..... it is that I guess but so much more.

19. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

Pay $350 for a fitness tracker? OK. :rolleyes:

20. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I paid $1,467 (Canadian price) for a "fancy" stainless steel band fitness tracker. So worth it.

21. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

That's cool but not everyone can justify spending large amounts of money on something just because it looks nice, especially when they can get the same functionality for a lot less. I'm sure there are plenty of devices out there with the same fitness features as the Apple Watch Sport for half the price. And in my opinion, the Apple Watch Sport doesn't even look that nice.

22. tibber thread starter macrumors newbie

Well said!
    I have the budget, but whether I should spend on a watch or leisure is the question.
    After reading all the comments. I feel the watch is more of a show-off thing. BTW, thank you all for the great input. I have made up my mind.

23. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

None of the watches have a 2-month waiting period and yours was NOT late.

Damn, man. Don't make me post an Elsa graphic in here. I hated Frozen.

----------

It's only a show off thing if you are showing it off.

If that was your goal, you'd succeed.

I use mine all the time, and my phone gets pulled out far less often.

I have the SS model and I don't think it was incredibly expensive, but our disposable incomes may vary since you're still in university.

:)

24. jds4300 macrumors member

HELL NO! Use that $600 you would have wasted on the Apple Watch to buy the Mucrosoft Surface 3 128GB with 4GB RAM.

25. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Steve? Steve Ballmer? Is that you?