Is it worth buying 2012 MacBook Pro non retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phoenixshadow, May 31, 2014.

1. Phoenixshadow macrumors newbie

I'm looking at getting a MacBook Pro and can't decide what to get I'm thinking about the 2012 non retina model as it's cheaper and can be upgraded later if I need.

It will be my first macbook and I'll be using using for general stuff watching tv looking at the internet, word processing and some photo editing ( I was thinking of using aperture )

I've looked in the apple store at the 13 inch retina and the non retina and it seemed ok, but am I mad going for a model,that's two years old.

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Well its all in the personal preference. I personally would have a problem buying a computer with 2 year old hardware, but for the right price it might be worth it. It also depends on if you want an optical drive and hardware replacement (RAM HDD). With the retinas you will have to take into account your future uses and purchase the model with the RAM and SSD that you will use for the next few years as they can't be replaced (well SSD can, but those are custom SSDs and expensive). But the retina is thinner, lighter, and has a much better screen. Those are big + if you're looking to carry it around.

I can't convince you one way or another, as there are pros and cons to each. But hopefully I gave you some information to help you out in your decision.

Good Luck!

3. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

I would consider the 2012 15 inch MBP with the higher resolution if I wanted the upgradability and needed a robust firewire implementation - the adaptors are not that good with some drives in my hands, but otherwise I would get the rMBP and max the storage and RAM for you needs. The old 13 inch would need to be very much cheaper and I bet you will end spending more upgrading it to match the newer machine.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have a 15" 2012 cMBP and it's great! I bought it slightly used from here on MacRumors and it's been fantastic. It has 16GB of RAM, 2.3GHz I7, and came with a Samsung 830 SSD 512GB.

But actually, just this morning, I upgraded to a Samsung 840 EVO SSD 500GB. This machine screams right along.

If you can live without the retina display, save a few bucks and get the 2012 cMBP.

5. Phoenixshadow thread starter macrumors newbie

I will use the optical drive but I do feel abit uneasy buying something that's two years old. Buying the retina version means more money upfront and no flexibility in future to change things later but could still cost about the same overall if I do upgrade

I agree there pros and cons with both and that's the problem with choosing I keep going back and forward between the two.

Thanks for the replies

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I don't feel like my 2012 rMBP VERY OLD!! Nobody can't tell the difference! So hope you will enjoy a 2012 cMBP if you decided to buy it. :apple:

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

For general use that machine maybe capable for the next 3 - 4 years at least. However, you did not mention if the system has been used and what price you are expected to pay. Even if it were new, I wouldn't pay top price especially if it has been just sitting around for the past 2 years. If the price is right, and the condition is acceptable to you, go for it.

8. Phoenixshadow thread starter macrumors newbie

I would be looking at buying it new. I can get the educational discount ( mind you I could get that on the retina one too) and getting AppleCare.

If I upgraded the ram ssd later on would that void the AppleCare warranty. I can't seem find a definite answer on this?

9. Charadis macrumors 6502a

No, simply upgrading the MacBook Pro does not void the warranty, but any damage in the process does (if not by an authorized servicer).

You can find how to open up your Mac in Apple's official support site for more information. Personally, the cMBP is still a very capable machine, and I would not discourage you from buying one. I have owned a mid 2010 13" model myself, and it is one of the best (if not the best) laptops I've ever owned; still own it, and not sure I want to sell it now I have a Retina Pro. Although, the screen now feels a bit dated now that I have a 13" Air and Retina to compare against (going to sell the Air soon though).

If you look around, you might actually find a good deal on a cMBP, like here. Good luck on whatever model you decide to get. :) Sent from my MacBook Pro.

10. jgiannakas macrumors newbie

I wouldn't buy new as the price difference to the rmbp is insignificant for the much better screen and overall performance. If you find a good used deal then go for it.

11. leman macrumors 604

If it's a used one, with a good price, then sure, go for it. Personally, I prefer retina model because it's much more portable and has an amazing screen. But when performance is considered, there is not much difference between the cMBP and the rMBP after you upgrade the former with an SSD. They will become obsolete at the same time.

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Price is everything when I comes to older device purchases. If it's truly a good deal and there is some good savings to be had then go for it. And, be sure the machine will do what you need it do spec wise. As long as those two criteria are met its an OK purchase IMO.

13. Zesto, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

Zesto macrumors newbie

I'm learning a lot here! So the Retina mbp can't get ram upgraded? Why not? and why are their ssds more expensive? (i used to go to another mac forum and the people there didn't know jack, but I'm getting a ton of good advice here and I love how active it is :) "

One thing I learned about macs - if you get the cheap 13 inch models, they will all know and look down at you. If you're gonna get a mac, make sure its the latest 15" retina, otherwise you will always hear, "oh, you should have gotten a 15" Retina...", Or "EW, mpb 13 with no retina?" or "Well, I have a 15" Retina, so..." Trust me, hearing that is much worse then spending the extra few hundred dollars. Don'y pay 999$ for a slow POS laptop. Can someone explain why the hell they put a 5400rpm drive in a thousand dollar laptop? I know it's their cheapest crappy model, but damn it's like they build it to be crappy then price it.

14. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Because to make an all solid state laptop that is as thin as possible, you solder everything down you can. Their SSDs are more expensive because they are not the standard sized SATA-based SSDs like a Samsung 840 EVO. Smaller volume, higher cost....basic rule of economics.

Apple has never been about low cost consumer goods. That can not be a surprise to anyone. They just hired the head of Burberry to run the retail operations. If you want a low cost laptop.....get something from Walmart running Windows. Two main drivers in using Apple stuff are that you like the want the products work and interwork; you may like some perceived higher status by using an Apple product. I think that last issue varies by your local culture and your circle of friends.

15. Zesto, Jun 1, 2014

Zesto macrumors newbie

Yeah you're right dude and it's good. I don't have any problem affording it and want to make sure I get the best product with highest efficiency. That's why I'm gonna buy only Apple from now on. And I wasn't complaining, I also think it would suck if everyone had a 15" mbp, I think the 13" is good beacuse it shows the people who stretch themselves to try to look good, but real people go straight for 15" cus its no big deal. A guy on my iphone forum explained it best, you got apple users, then you got plebeian apple users aka wannabes. (and btw YES I have had the iphone 5s since day 1 it released on verizon (the best phone on the best network) and I plan to get the iphone 6 on day 1 as well.

I made the mistake of getting the 13" because i thought it was mid level since the air is cheaper, but I didn't know, I'm selling mine on ebay ASAP and going to the store tomorrow to pick up a 15" retina.

btw is the retina 13" bigger than non retina 13"? Aren't they both 13"? or is the retina 13.5"? according to specs they are both 13.3", so why did someone earlier say the retina screen is bigger? were they just referring to resolution?

16. jgiannakas, Jun 1, 2014

jgiannakas macrumors newbie

That's totally the wrong way to approach buying a laptop. Check what you will use it for, if you want the most powerful laptop you can get then go for the 15 rmbp, maxed out, but you will compromise on mobility. If you want the lightest machine, get an MBA but it will run slower of all but with the best battery life. If you want a middle of the ground laptop, more portable than the 15 and with a better screen than the MBA get the rmbp 13. If you want a laptop that you can upgrade and a DVD drive with you then the best one is the non retina MBP, but best if it is used as the current price is not worth it(no ssd, no retina screen, heavier and older gen processor).

The 13rmbp is smaller in footprint than the MBA and non retina mbp due to smaller bezel, but the screen diagonal is identical (13 inch). The MBA has a native resolution of1440x900 compared to 1280x800 on the non retina mbp, hence it's screen will offer more real estate. Also the RMBP 13 screen can go up to 1680x1050. Final point is that all of the retina screens are IPS panels with exceptional color accuracy hence much better for photography or image editing than the non retina MBA and MBP.

17. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Both non-retina and retina 13" MBPs have 13.3" screens, but in physical size, the non-retina model occupies a larger footprint on a table because the bezel is thicker. Besides, the non-retina is also much heavier and thicker.

18. JonathanGennick macrumors newbie

Is it worth buying 2012 MacBook Pro non retina

That's a terrible way to think about shopping for a laptop. It sounds like you are after a fashion accessory.

There are plenty of reasons why one might prefer a smaller or larger size footprint and screen.

19. aratio macrumors member

I have a mid-2010 13" macbook pro and I think I will use it for the next two or three years. I like it because it is small and I can carry it anywhere I want. At the work, I can connect my computer to an external monitor, an external trackpad and to a keyboard and that's it: I can have a full desktop environment with it. Personally, I find the 15" too heavy and uncomfortable at all (again, it is just my personal opinion).

My computer shipped with a 250Gb 5400rpm HDD and 2 Gb of RAM when I bought it. But I was upgrading it gradually and right now has TWO 7200rpm hard disks: One with 320Gb and the other one with 720Gb; and, lucky me, this computer (macbook pro 7,1) supports 16Gb of RAM and runs perfectly with it; I need a lot of storage because I work with several virtual machines and need a lot of space and RAM. I replaced the DVD writer with a OWC "Data doubler" that lets me put in the same place the second HDD.

About your friends: You are buying a computer to study, work, carry out your music, videos, etc; browse the web, etc, etc., and it is for you, not for them, so look into your needs before looking into what the others will think.

By the way, I have a black plastic cover for my mac. With that, it does not show the shiny apple or the piece of met... err.. aluminum; but... who cares?

20. skolvikes macrumors newbie

Only if you really feel like you need the upgrade ability. I personally find the Retina screen, improved speakers, and ports to make the rMBP better than the cMBP. (Aside from the obvious processor/graphics/ssd stuff).

21. iRadio macrumors newbie

I bought a mid 2010 13" from a friend which had just got to 3 years old. Had it now for about a year, runs flawlessly. My Hobby is photography and this one runs Photoshop and Lightroom no problem. I did upgrade to 8gb RAM and put in a 750gb 7200rpm seagate Hybrid drive to help speed up and provide a little more space.

Its all down to what you need it for. I'd love a 15" all singing all dancing Retina version, but cannot justify the extra cost, especially knowing that tomorrow, it will be 'old tech'....

Go for what you can afford, they are great pieces of kit, and i'm sure my 2010 model will last me a good few years yet!

22. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Depends on the price.

You can add in a big SSD and max out the RAM so if it's cheap enough then go for it because it'll absolutely fly.

23. taedouni macrumors 65816

In June 2012 I had the option of going for the entry retina Macbook Pro or get the best equal priced cMBP. I ended up going with the cMBP mostly due to the fact that I already had a 512 GB crucial SSD and I didn't want that to go to waste. Since then I've upgraded the RAM to 16 GB and I'm very happy that I went this route. I can see this laptop lasting me until 2016 (at the least). I don't game on my MBP (or if I do it's very light gaming) so I don't see why this bad boy wouldn't last that long.

24. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I just bought a mid 2012 13" cMBP on Sunday. I owned a mid 2010 and late 2011 with similar specs. I do not find this slow at all.

I do agree that you may want to consider an SSD and perhaps a memory upgrade. I say perhaps on the memory upgrade because if you don't actually need more RAM, you will not likely notice the difference.

I paid $989.99 from Best Buy. I had $150 off student discount and it was on sale.