is it worth Buying a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Markisss88, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Markisss88 macrumors regular

Markisss88

i dont really see the difference between the 2.26 White Unibody and the 2.26 Macbook Pro besides the obvious 200 dollar price and the look. am i missing something about the macbook pro or something ?

2. trungthiendo macrumors regular

if you don't see a difference, then there isn't one, and you would do just fine with the unibody macbook.

'you won't miss what you don't know' applies here

the 200 dollar difference could be worth it to you if u value aluminum body, back lit keyboard, better lcd...

3. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

i think, although not sure, the screen is better on the mbp and the graphics are slightly upgraded... also doesn't it come with a bigger hard drive? [​IMG] personally though i think the looks of the mbp make it worth it lol

4. trungthiendo macrumors regular

gfx card is the same on both model

the macbook has the bigger hd at 250gb,

macbook pro has the better lcd screen, the all aluminum construction, the back light keyboard...

its really up to the buyer to decide if the 200 dollar price difference is worth it

5. sleyeu macrumors 6502

have your forgot that the mbp is nearing its update time, the mack book just got updated...

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

The Macbook is a great machine, but I'll take the decrease in hard drive space to get it made from better materials (aluminum.) (Or if you want the extra HD, it's only an additional $50 - that's not bad from Apple.)

If you don't need the extra space, I'd also spring for the extra RAM ($100 to go to 4 gigs) - again, that's not too bad for Apple, and it'll keep you going for a lot longer.

The only major thing that the Macbook has over the MBP is that you can still remove the bottom of the case to upgrade RAM or hard drive, where it doesn't appear you can do that with the new unibody MBP.

Still, I'll take the more durable casing over a little bump in hard drive space for the extra money - it would be worth it to me. Question is, would it be worth it to you? :)

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

All that matters is the difference that you see, or maybe that you don't see.

9. Markisss88 thread starter macrumors regular

Markisss88

thank you, honestly i dont expect to drop the laptop. that kind of makes me mad they took out the IR though, but im sure i can get a remote that works through wifi.

10. sstickygreen macrumors member

You can upgrade the MBP ram and hard drive with no problem at all, you can take the bottom off with a phillips screwdriver. Next time do some research before you post incorrect information.

11. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

It's ok, I really wasn't sure if you could do it or not. Thanks for the information :)

In that case, I'd definitely go with the MBP *and* buy my RAM third party from OWC.

12. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I wouldn't say the aluminum is particularly adept at keeping the machine from getting *damaged* if you drop it (on the other hand, nobody "expects" to drop their laptop, that's why they're called "accidents")

But in general, the aluminum is more durable and will hold up better over the years than polycarbonate will.

I'm not at ALL saying that the poly is *BAD* - in fact, it seems to be more durable than most of the low-cost PC laptops out there.

Just that some people prefer to have their computers made from higher quality materials in order to extend the life of the computer for a few extra years (and remember that you'll get a higher resale value on alum vs. poly also.)

You may not be - it sounds like you're still not convinced, and that's fine, that's why they make the poly version too :)

About the IR/remote - that may have been one of the things they needed to remove to keep some separation between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro - as you said, the differences between the MB and MBP are shrinking, so there needs to be a reason beyond just the materials to upgrade.

13. brendu macrumors 68020

wow so many wrong answers posted here.

to keep it simple.

DIFFERENCES that can not be changed:
    Macbook max 4gb ram
    Macbook Pro max 8gb ram

Macbook no firewire
    Macbook Pro - firewire 800

Macbook no SD card reader
    Macbook Pro yes SD card reader

Macbook no IR
    Macbook Pro yes IR

Macbook no backlit keyboard
    Macbook Pro yes backlight keyboard

that should just about cover it.

14. Markisss88 thread starter macrumors regular

Markisss88

thanks everyone i bought the newest Macbook off ebay for 950 brand new - 76 dollars cash back, i think i got a good deal! ill keep in mind the next couple days and if i want ill just re-sell the macbook and get a pro.

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

If you sell it within a few months of purchase, you should get nearly the full price. I sold my old black MacBook four months after purchase for $1450, $50 less then I paid. This was on eBay.

16. Markisss88 thread starter macrumors regular

Markisss88

yea thats my plan if worse comes to worse. apples products usually keep there value, which is very nice when you like to keep up with electronics.

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801