Is it worth buying a refurb 1st gen iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by raysfan81, Mar 8, 2011.

1. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

I'm thinking mostly in the terms of longevity. I don't want to buy the old model and have it unsupported hardware in a year. Any suggestions?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There is always the risk that newer software will require upgraded hardware
    But the deals on the first gen iPad are pretty good right now, and you will be able to enjoy it for a good while regardless

3. 184550 Guest

There is not enough data yet to make a conclusion. I think that it is safe to assume that the iPad one will be supported through out the iPad twos cycle.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Your iPad will not turn off and suddenly stop functioning the day that Apple stops supporting it in future OS updates, wether you are OK with being left behind will be up to you.

The Original iPhone went as far as iOS 3.1.3 and the iPhone 3G will just this week finally get left behind on iOS 4.2.1 (it will not receive iOS 4.3), both a good 3 years after their release. So the iPad will be around for a wile, but obviously the iPad 2 will last one year longer.

5. No ice please macrumors 6502

I can't see apple pull an iPhone 3G on the original iPad anytime soon. But it is a really good deal.

6. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I ended up buying a 16GB refurb for my wife, because she only seems to do 3 things on my computer:
    1) Check facebook
    2) Watch a movie
    3) Online Shopping

IMHO AUD$388 is a bargain and if it's going to fulfill the requirements then thus it will be a good product to buy.

For me on the other hand I do need the camera, so the iPad1 isn't the best product for me, I think what you need to consider is that will the feature set fulfill your needs?

7. klover macrumors 6502a

$349 for a iPad is an absolutely great deal. They arrive in the same condition as a "new" retail unit, carry the same warranty, and are well-inspected.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's worth it if you're into it for light use. If you're a heavy user into the most advanced features, then no.

9. newdeal macrumors 68020

2 times the cpu, probobly 2 times the ram and 9 times the graphics means in two years there will be some sweet features that the ipad won't have that the ipad 2 will. The iphone 3gs wasn't as big of a leap above the iphone 3g as this is and there are plenty of features the 3gs has that the 3g doesn't

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I just bought a 1st gen after the big announcement last week. The way I figured it was that the price was so good that if I decide to upgrade when the iPad 3 comes out (if it's a good upgrade) then I'll have gotten good use out of it for relatively little investment.

11. fishcake macrumors newbie

Can't tell you how long the 1st gen will be supported, but I'm sitting here typing on my 16Gb refurb that arrived today. Great device and priced right at CAD$369, that puts it into netbook territory where I think it belongs, I'd start to thing about buying them for the kids if this was the normal price!

No regrets buying this one, I'd say go for it and dip your toes in the tablet world, who knows where we will be this time next year if the competition finally get their act together.

12. urkel, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

Pretty much every upgraded aspect of the new iPad was something nobody had complaints about before (speed, power, graphics). And just about everything that people did want upgraded then the Apple excuse squad keep telling us that it's unrealistic to expect those features this generation (quality camera, higher capacity, more memory, retina display).

So if the people on this board are to be trusted then it seems like next years model is the one to get. And if thats the case then why invest so much if you're going to end up reselling it for half the cost in 10mo. You'd lose less money by buying the original iPad since they're dirt cheap now but they still have power that is well above whats necessary in 2011.

13. raysfan81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

Good point. I think I may check out eBay and see if there are some great deals and if not I'm probably going with the Apple Refurbished.

14. Davichi macrumors 6502

Yea. it's 350 dollars. That's really worth it. You are taking off 150 dollars that was released barely a year ago.

Most likely, apple will support it for another year and then drop support.

iPad 2 will be supported for a longer period of time in a long run.

I don't understand why people have issues with apple's OS updates. Apple is one of the very few companies that support their hardwares for 2 years or even longer.

Does Android do that?

They support it for like.... 1 months. And then you are outdated.

15. immemorial macrumors member

Depends on your needs mostly. I picked up a refurb iPad this week, but I'm not really going to use it for much more than browsing and watching movies. If you're planning on doing a lot of gaming, it might be worth it to go for the ipad 2 instead. Me though, I bought the refurb and am going to use the money I saved on a nintendo 3ds instead. :)

16. tgcken macrumors member

Even if you want to do gaming, I think the ipad 1 is a decent enough choice depending on how intense you plan on getting about it.

The iphone 4 with A4 processor has been out for how many months, and yet only recently the games are starting to take advantage. And that's only a few games. And even with these games, most are able to run on the iphone 3gs.

I bought mine used to be a a textbook reader, but when I got it I realized that even at $300 this was no low quality device. I was horrified that I almost spent $250 on a Nook Color when the iPad was so much more refined and useful. I even had the opportunity to test out the Xoom in BB next to an iPad one, and I now find myself very discouraged about the competition iPad will receive. While I liked the physical design of the Xoom better, even if it had been the same $300 has my iPad I would have chosen the iPad. Even the first gen feels like a very refined device by comparison.

This is coming from a Windows user, btw. No apple-centric bias. Right now iPad 1 feels like the best value, especially if you can find one in good condition. Just make sure you get a screen protector on it, that makes all the difference.

17. newdeal macrumors 68020

the more I think of it the more I doubt that the ipad 1 will be phased out soon...likely the ipad 3 will be as fast as the ipad 2 or slightly faster but with retina display...retina will require far more resources so likely the things you will be able to use the ipad 3 for at high res will be fine on the ipad 1 at a lower res. The ipad 2 will be drastically overpowered for these things