Is it worth buying a refurb 2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joel95, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Joel95 macrumors member

Is it worth buying refurbished 2011 MBPs, from Apple or from third party resellers?

I read a few pages of the Macrumors merged refurb MBP thread, and I'm seeing nothing but praise for the refurb machines.

The MBPs i saw on apple are up to 10% off, but what's the catch? I'm buying Applecare anyways, so any problems it might have can be fixed, but I'm worried about unfixable problems (not that i can think of any).

Has anyone faced any complications/problems with their refurbs?

2. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

refurbs through apple is the way to go.

i would even go as far as to say i prefer their refurbs than buying brand new. Its piece of mind knowing that apple makes each refurb go through a series of tests (and also replaces all the parts). Its practically a brand new comp for a cheaper price.

3. Joel95 thread starter macrumors member

That's great! I'm studying abroad soon and fixing my 2008 macbook will probably run me at least $500. I was planning on fixing it and wait for the 2012 MBP but i'm probably getting a 2011 refurb instead.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

as stated prior, they are the way to go.
    Honestly ive opened up a few macbook pros and compared them a new one to a refurb and theyre remanufactured and look exactly like new.
    Unlike something youd see being repaired at a apple store or shipped off to an apple repair depot.
    they dont look like they've been "refurbished/repaired" at all.

5. Jukes316 macrumors regular

I just received mine the other day. And it looks just like a brand new one.
    Only bad thing is that it had 24 cycles on the battery already..but they get what? Like 1000 cycles?
    All in all though, very pleased.

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

You'll still get years out of the battery so don't let it bother you too much! :) which model did you get?

7. Jukes316 macrumors regular

I got the 2.2 4gb glossy 15"
    One thing I would have changed if I had the money was maybe get the Hi Res screen. It's just not as "crisp" ya know. But I'm getting used to it.