Is it Worth Buying a Used iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AndrewMRiv, Nov 30, 2013.

1. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

What is your opinion on buying used Macs? Is it risky because you never truly know what you're getting? Is it a bad idea since they likely will be even older when you're done with them and have less of a resale value? Or is it worth paying close to what they are new?

I am interested in purchasing my first iMac sometime. I have always been afraid of buying used technology.

I'd probably have trouble finding one I like since I intend to have a SSD and 32gb of RAM (eventually) and the ability to plug in a large thunderbolt external storage device.

I would want it be able to record my rock band's music in Logic Pro as well as edit videos in Final Cut Pro.

Additionally, it would record little demos in Garageband, be my iTunes Media Server, do my programming homework, be my primary computer for web designing, etc.

My two options are to buy used in a couple of months or wait anywhere from half a year to a whole year to save up for one.

Thank you.

2. ender78 macrumors 6502

Take a look at the Apple refurbished store. These are factory refreshed units. Warranties are fully valid. You can save quite a bit buying refurbished.

You also imply that you are a student. If you go to http://www.apple.com/education/mac/how-to-buy/ you may qualify for student pricing which is a significant discount.

3. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Most of the Macs I've bought, including this one have been used.

Mind you I only buy them when I can go and collect them myself so I can have a quick play first.

I'd never ever buy a Mac via courier from eBay.

4. AndrewMRiv thread starter macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

Thank you for your response. I will likely go with the student discount so I can have the convenience of customizing the specs.

Thank you. My options were eBay and Amazon but the idea scared me.

5. blanka macrumors 68000

With the right price you can always buy a second hand. Most important thing is to check the screen. The IPS panels have a habit of loosing dust trails INSIDE the panel, which cannot be fixed unless you swap the whole screen.

And check the price against a (refurb/second hand/new) Mini with seperate IPS display. If that combo is cheaper, don't get the iMac. Especially when you are into Final Cut with 24/25p content, you can hook up a display that supports those refresh rates. The iMac judders on that content.

And DON'T buy Core2Duo iMacs. They are obsolete. Nice if they still work, but don't start new with one.

6. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Please explain how a C2D iMac is obsolete? From a warranty Apple Care point of view yes, but not in usability terms, although I'd probably abandon anything older than a '08.

7. ender78 macrumors 6502

How well does Lightroom 5 of Photoshop run of a C2D versus an i5 of i7 ? I see you have one in your sig and while great for most day to day tasks, an i5 or i7 will blow any C2D out of the water.

A 2.6 GHZ iMac from 2008 scores 1524/2746 on Geekbench
    A an i5 iMac from 2013 scores 3239/10125 on Geekbench

8. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

I'm well aware of the performance differences (I've owned an i5 machine but had to sell it due to hardship). I just think it's a little too far to totally dismiss C2D machines as obsolete. No I wouldn't recommend one to a power user but they're still very capable if you have a little bit of patience.

9. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I bought a 2010 21.5" iMac from a guy I found on Craigslist. It was nice to be able to check out the machine first and then throw down for it. I got a good deal at the time (a year ago), and it's been a great computer, especially after doing my own SSD and RAM upgrades.

10. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I bought a used one several years ago that cratered on me after just a few months, and nothing I could do about it. Had it been a refurb it would have been fully warrantied.

You can get a good deal on a used one, but for me the potential risk outweighs the reward. Refurb is the way to go if you're looking for a deal.

11. durhamj macrumors member

What?? Guess you do have a point, but mine is still going strong.. It all depends upon what apps you plan to run on it. The most intense thing I do is LightRoomv2 and VMwarev5.

12. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

So was mine, then I got a new Mini. You don't realize how bad it is till you see what you're missing :)