Is it worth buying an iPod Nano today?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Sam_S, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Sam_S macrumors regular

I am looking and getting rid of my iPhone 6 and buying the new Blackberry when it releases, however I don't feel that I want to go running with such a large device strapped to my arm, the iPhone 6 is big enough already.

I would most likely look at the new iPod Nano to take up the role as my running/gym companion, however it is 5 year old technology, is it worth looking at? Or should I buy something else?

2. Trequartista macrumors newbie

Trequartista

I bought one recently for 150 Dollars. In Europe, they are already disappearing from the stores.
    Actually I really like the device. It's one of the best iPod Nano in their history. It's very small and light.
    It also supports Bluetooth, means it won't be outdated anytime soon.
    The only cumbersome thing is the storage. 16 GB is not that much really, but if you are fine with not having all your favorite music with you all the time, I would go for it.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

You're leaving iPhone behind for Blackberry and you're worried about buying into old technology?? :rolleyes:

4. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Haha, I'm still rocking my 3rd generation red Nano. I say go for it, but why are you going from iPhone to Blackberry?

5. Sam_S thread starter macrumors regular

I am not happy with the direction of Apple, nor the iPhone, I certainly don't enjoy using it as I once did.
    I find that I have many more bugs then I ever used to. I decided against upgrading on my 2 year cycle this year, the iPhone 7 is just the 6S without a headphone jack in my opinion. And I have $600 headphones that I use everyday that I don't particularly want to have to carry an adapter around with me.

That being said I would consider an iPhone SE if they upgrade the camera and provide a 128GB option.

6. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

Apple stopped the first generation replacement program, so I'm assuming the 7th gen stock is beginning to dwindle.

7. GordonGekko999 macrumors regular

And no more refurbs on sale at the Apple website, new design on the way? Or will they end production of the Nano line?

8. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

If I had to guess, I would think its the end of the Nano line. Everyone has a phone that can store music, and perhaps a smart watch that has music capabilities as well. Therefore, it comes down to why would consumers need a phone, and a standalone music player (my thoughts). Its a way to push the iPhone and Apple Watch (music on the go), and music services (Apple Music)

9. Sam_S thread starter macrumors regular

But Apple Music is terrible...

10. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I literally ran my Nano into the ground on Nike+

Then the washing machine

RIP

11. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I agree 100%

12. tippytap90 macrumors member

tippytap90

If you need an MP3 player I can't imagine there's any better. The beauty of the AirPods is that you no longer need a device on your person if you're on a treadmill but for running the nano would still appear to be the best choice.

13. GordonGekko999 macrumors regular

I don't know, first day using this thing and I'm already thinking I might pass it on to a relative. I wanted to use it primarily for podcasts and excercise but the touch screen is not an improvement over the click wheel and not even an improvement over the fixed buttons of a Sansa Clip mp3 player. For sure $150 is a ridiculous price for a device that has not been updated in 5 years. For me the perfect device might be the Apple Watch when it is fully independent of the Iphone and able to utilize the cloud for musics and podcasts.

14. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

The nano is PERFECT for running size-wise. My problem with it is that I now have a ton of music in Apple Music that won't sync to the Nano. Also, I hate sync'ing podcasts via a cable.

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

my iPod Nano 4th generation has a dead battery. So I'm considering a new nano for running.

A few questions:
    - how good is the pedometer to estimate running distance?
    - can you connect to a Polar heart rate monitor and display time, heart rate and distance while running on the nano?
    - can you use the audible app with wispersync on the nano or do you need to listen to audiobooks through iTunes?

Thanks for any input!

16. Stefan johansson macrumors 6502a

Stefan johansson

I bought a nano to use as music storage for my car stereo,was worth it.

17. glittersparkles macrumors member

I recently bought an iPod nano, but I bought an old 2nd generation 8gb because I wanted it for running... I'm too clumsy for a touch screen when running. That said, the current nano is a great size :)

18. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Get a iPhone SE.

19. Sam_S thread starter macrumors regular

I actually did that a month ago or so. Very Very happy!

20. satchmo macrumors 65816

The size is great.
    Unfortunately I don't think Apple will ever add wireless features (other than BT) into the iPod.
    Streaming music or wireless synching music would awesome.
    But when it comes to running, they seem to have put all their eggs in one basket...the Apple Watch.

21. Richard8655, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017

Richard8655 macrumors 6502

I'm guessing no Nano update in the near future. I don't think they would have added those 2 new colors (informally known as 8th generation) in 2015 if they intended to do a whole product upgrade in the foreseeable future.

But I could be wrong and hope a refreshed Nano will come out soon.

22. cawgijoe macrumors newbie

I would like to see the Ipod Nano refreshed as a Hi-Res player. Keep the FM radio and the current size. Ability to stream on wi-fi. Perfect for running. FM is great for listening to ball games while doing that. I don't like carrying my phone while running. Too big, too cumbersome, too expensive. My other option is Sony, but I'm trying to hold off.

23. kge420 macrumors member

kge420

Gen 7 nano is a perfect running companion. Nike+, bt, lightweight