Is it worth buying AppleCare+??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by APPL-120B$, Apr 4, 2015.

1. APPL-120B$ macrumors newbie

Do you think its worth paying the 250$ fro AppleCAre?? I wish mac-applecare would cover accidental and water damages :/

2. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

It's AppleCare, not AppleCare+ (which is the one covering accidental damage for phones).

Whether it's worth it or not is another debate that never ends. But if you're going to buy it and are in the US, buy it from B&H video, it's $174 (or $179 with auto-enroll).

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare is for Macs. AppleCare+ is for iPads and iPhones.

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display
    • You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase. It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • AppleCare follows the device, not the owner. When a Mac changes hands, the AppleCare coverage still applies to the computer. There is no need to "register" the new owner in order to receive coverage.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again for the same device or renew it.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms & Conditions.
    • Apple to Update AppleCare with Subscription Service and In-Store Repair Options
    As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

4. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Personally I NEVER buy AppleCare on laptops... simply because I upgrade to the newest model every year, so I'm always covered by the standard warranty. For this same reason I don't buy it on mobile devices, as I always upgrade annually, so there's little to no benefit to me.

However, I did buy it on my iMac in 2013, because I knew I'd be keeping it for the length of the service contract, so for that it makes sense. But like anything, it's a balance between cost and benefit, and only you know your history with warranty stuff, and how likely you are to keep a product long-term.

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Pretty good reasoning there. I don't update my Mac every year, but I do it pretty often. 2011 Air, 2013 rMBP, and now 2015 rMB. I've always been intrigued by the global service options that AppleCare gets you with Macs, I don't think that option exists on the AppleCare for iOS devices.

Apple products are pretty reliable anyways.

6. newellj macrumors 601

If I had a 15" rMBP with the dGPU, I'd buy AppleCare. :( The good thing about AppleCare is that you don't have to decide up front. You can buy it up to a year after the original purchase date, which will give you time to monitor places like MR to see if the rMB seems to have reliability issues.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If you are a known klutz, BUY IT. If you want accident damage blah-blah, buy insurance instead that FourQuare outfit or something.

8. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

If you are a known klutz, AppleCare for macs won't help you.

I've only ever bought Apple Care with my iMac, because I will keep it for a few years - and it's cheap enough, since it's for a desktop, and said desktop was freaking expensive.

Never got it for my iPhones, although I did have to pay $200 for a new one when my 5s fell on the concrete before I managed to buy a case. But it only happened once in what, 5 years ?

As for the MB, I won't. I doubt I'll keep it much more than a year. If I do, I'll still have time to buy it before the 1-year free guarantee ends. By then I'll know if it's prone to having problems or not.

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Some people argue that because Macs are getting less repairable, that it's worth it. But the rMB truly has no moving parts, where as the rMBP still has things like fans to worry about. So the chances for failure are extremely small. But I agree with you, if someone is upgrading every year then it's pointless.

10. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Well, from what I've read, Macs can have a lot of problems, not only with the moving parts. I'm not saying it's not worth it, just that I prefer to wait and see. And I also usually opt to take the risk and self-insure, unless the cost is just super high, like the iMac, and I plan on keeping it for at least 3 years. But that's a personnal choice.

This one, I'm pretty sure I won't keep too long. I'll most probably wil upgrade to skylake next year. It's not my main computer, it's kind of my new toy :)

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm with you. I've never had a problem with my Macs. I will upgrade to Skylake, because this thing will be my primary computer. Plus I'd like a 720p FaceTime camera!

12. .macbookpro. macrumors regular

If anyone is in the UK and a student, remember that the education pricing on laptops includes 3 years of repairs.

So there is no need to get Apple car, unless you demand that extra 2 years telephone support.

13. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I thought the Apple car wasn't coming out for at least a few years. ;)

14. .macbookpro. macrumors regular

No. Obviously broke students in the UK have had the Apple Car for years now. But they don't need the telephone support.
    It just drives. No problems ever.
    3 year warranty is a bit cheap though.