Is it worth buying current Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zahz, Feb 18, 2014.

  1. zahz, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

    zahz macrumors newbie

    Feb 18, 2014
    Hey there,

    I wanted to seek some opinions on whether or not it would be a good idea to purchase the current Macbook Pro, I need the retina display 13".

    This would be my first, so I'm wondering whether I should wait or something for any releases this year? If there are any. Note, I need a 13" with retina only, no larger. This is because I'm going to be carrying it around my Uni, so it needs to be portable as possible.

    Thanks in advance!
  2. silver25u macrumors member

    Sep 20, 2007
    Now is as good a time as any. It is unlikely Apple will release a new version within the next few months. The question, as it always is, does the current version meet your needs? If it does then buy it because it is unlikely version will come out until at least the last half of the year. General Consensus is that the new release will likely have minor component improvements.

  3. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Apple updated their MBP lines this past fall, and with Intel delaying the Broadwell chipset, this only means that you're in a good spot to buy now and not worry about a refresh coming soon.
  4. zahz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 18, 2014

    I've just been wondering as I'm not really direly in need this semester, but the next semester which is in my next academic year (fall), I'll need one. Taking notes by hand is just becoming tedious with some of my lecturers. I thought waiting till around that time, I might be able to get an updated one.

    Is there ever any significant improvements? If so, does that count for all screen sizes?

    Thanks again.
  5. Commy1 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 25, 2013
    Now is a good time, if you're not familiar with OSX then having some time to get acquainted is always good. The largest improvement I think, was in the PCIe SSD this past update, blazing fast. In the fall update, there will likely be Broadwell architecture CPU's which will give better integrated GPU performance and many lead to better battery life, but nothing extensive.
    Just my opinion though
  6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020


    May 16, 2013
    Kansas, USA
    Now isn't a bad time. I recommend the 13" 2.4ghz i5 with 8gb RAM and the 256gb SSD. It's the best bang for your buck, especially with the education discount.

    Based on what happened last year, you may be waiting until October or later for an update. The current model is very good though. They seem to have fixed the minor issues that the 13" had at release, so it's a very safe buy.
  7. Badrottie Suspended


    May 8, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I think you should consider a Dell XPS laptop. It looks nice if you are used with Windows OS. :apple:
  8. zahz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 18, 2014
    Well what I was thinking on doing was either run VMs or partition it to run Windows, Linux and Mac OSs.

    It's just about having them at my disposal, especially considering my studies.

    I am leaning towards just getting it. It doesn't seem like the updates are very large, just looking into how to run different OSs in the best way possible.
  9. Montymitch macrumors regular


    Feb 16, 2009
    If you are primarily taking notes in class, consider a MacBook Air.
  10. zahz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 18, 2014
    I'll need to do other things as well, such as do some more demanding tasks with programming as well as the odd photo/video editing, occasionally.
  11. Moosebear macrumors newbie

    Jan 5, 2014
    Well IF Apple is going to introduce an Air with a Retina screen, that would be worth waiting for, if you cared about the weight loss and bump in battery life. But who knows what they have up their sleeve. And I don't think you could go wrong with the current MBP either.
  12. zahz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 18, 2014
    Possibly, but thing is unless it has a sufficient amount of power and space, I couldn't care less. That's why I'm going with MBP. I need to store three Operating Systems on it, possibly with a sufficient amount of storage needed for each, so I'm planning on getting the 512gb 13" MBP and later if I need may get a WiFi 500gb HDD.

Share This Page