Is it worth buying movies on iTunes???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eidrunner247, Sep 16, 2006.

1. aristobrat macrumors G5

Hmmm. You have to buy it used and have it shipped via "media mail" (how slow is that?) to get it for under $9.99.

I sat thru an iTunes + iPod training class yesterday at the MacArthur Center Apple Store. If the folks that were there are indicative of Apple's non-forum using user base, then Apple is set when it comes to the movies.

The customers there were very interested in getting media onto their iPods, and from the questions asked (god, I could never be a Creative), the vast majority of them would be totally clueless at how to use a tool like HandBreak to get a DVD that they picked up from Wal*mart over to their iPod. Furthermore, since HandBrake is technically illegal in the US, when asked in the class, the Creative wouldn't talk about it. :eek:

I think some of the points brought up in this thread about the movies (quality, it can be purchased other ways for cheaper, people are going to want the case) sound a lot like the points made a few years ago for how useless the iTunes Music Store was going to be. ;)

2. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

I can't imagine that happening anytime soon...

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

I wonder if DVDs can't be burnt is more an issue to appease the studios or that it would cut into sales of Apple's upcoming iTV device? :D

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Considering the studios and record industry spend upwards of a billion dollars on security measures, I would say the former.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Or maybe a system where you rent for a flat rate that allows you to watch the movie twice. Then you must make your decision to purchase or discard.

6. Jamesg2054 macrumors newbie

"" Gets them on your iPod fast..or on you computer, and for people who are not to good with ripping DVDs, its a nice feature I guess. Also good for Kids who can't always get to the movie store.

Or people who don't buy many movies and just want one quickly, or they see it can think it would be fun to watch so they get an impuse buy. ""

What are the dvd ripping methods [on a mac]??

7. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Firstly, I don't think that making 9 year old thread alive again is very smart, also please use the Search function, which will give you plenty of results for the given topic.

8. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

man, what kind of computer do you have that takes 12 hours to rip a dvd with handbrake?
    mine only takes an hour or less

what profile are you using??

12 hours is like how long it takes for my computer to rip a blu ray

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, the post you quoted is 9 years old. Same year that the first generations of Macs using Intel processors came out, so this poster was probably using a PowerPC Mac.

10. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

oops!

that computer is 8 years old, and it made a dvd rip in 30 minutes, so the post was still relevant!
    so there

11. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

Never said your post wasn't relevant. I just gave my opinion as to the likely answer of the question you asked in it.

13. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Why would anyone want a physical DVD nowadays?