Is It Worth Buying the 256 Air Just For Resale Value?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Bulldog3777, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

I certainly do not need 256GB. 128GB would be more than sufficient for me. I have the 256 MBPr as my main computer. The 13in Air would be for travel. Is it worth it to buy the larger SSD in order to sell it later when the time comes?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

no. paying $200 now won't net you $200 in resale value in the future. just go for the 128gb.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I will say that 128GB could easily feel too constrained rather quickly.

Throw in a medium sized iPhoto/aperture library, a sizable iTunes library and all of sudden its too small. Data, applications, and operating systems are not getting slimmer but more bloated. The 256GB gives you room to grow.

So for your own future proofing 256gb is not a bad idea, regardless of potential resale value

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

IMO, it's a bad idea to buy any computer based on what you think the resale value might be.

5. Bulldog3777 thread starter macrumors 6502

All the big stuff is kept on my MBP 256 and external HD.

6. mpantone macrumors 6502

Correct. A computer is an expense, not an investment. Buy it for its merits while you own it, not the day you get rid of it.

Same with cars. If you're a family of four, don't get some tiny little two-seater sportscar because the "resell value is good". Buy the minivan. It might have a worse resale value, but at least you'll get years of useful service.

Today, a computer is an appliance, like a microwave oven or vacuum cleaner. Buy the tool that gives you the most benefit during your anticipated ownership.

If you want something with a good resale value, buy tax-free municipal bonds.

7. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

It may help to sell it easier/more quickly and you'll get more $. $200 more? Likely not. If you've got the extra $200 I'd get the extra space. Never know what the future holds and you may need that space. The other benefit is faster read/write speeds. The 256 outperforms the 128 relatively significantly.

8. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

The base model always, I repeat, always gets the most bang for your buck during resale. Simply becaus apple overcharges exponentially for higher capacities.

9. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I have been very happy I chose 256 even though I too have a retina MBP for my main laptop.

10. pina macrumors member

Was in the same situation today and I chose 128GB since you will never resell your MBA in the future for $200 extra. the only difference is, that a 256GB COULD get sold more easily because most 2nd hand MBA on the 2nd hand market will be stock models. But you will lose more money buy spending $200. If you want to have a higher reseller value, then go for 8GB RAM instead.

But I'm using the MBA as a secondary notebook, my primary is my MBP 15"