Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkanddivine

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Obviously theres the whole "do I don't I" thing going on with a lot of people, so I wanted to ask this one. Most people say if you want/need an iMac now, buy it now. But in this case where we are days away from the update, is it actually worth shelling out for a new iMac at all?

Edit: One of the reasons I ask is because buying a fully tested (current) stable system seems good, especially as the all new iMacs may be unstable. As I understand it, they will be a Rev A, but correct me if I'm wrong!

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
Obviously theres the whole "do I don't I" thing going on with a lot of people, so I wanted to ask this one. Most people say if you want/need an iMac now, buy it now. But in this case where we are days away from the update, is it actually worth shelling out for a new iMac at all?

Uh, I think you just answered your own question?

Jessy

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2006
NE Ohio
Obviously it is "worth it" if you have some sort of extremely time-sensitive project to work on.

Otherwise, not at all. These news ones look like they're going to be killer.

And if not, save a couple hundred bucks in the refurb store on the current crop.

Edit: I mean save a couple hundred bucks on top of the couple hundred bucks you'd already be saving. The refurb prices will hopefully drop when the new model comes out, though this didn't happen for the latest MacBook Pro revision.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Edit: One of the reasons I ask is because buying a fully tested (current) stable system seems good, especially as the all new iMacs may be unstable. As I understand it, they will be a Rev A, but correct me if I'm wrong!
All new tech products are likely to have teething problems of some sort - and I understand why people prefer to wait before rushing out to buy the latest and greatest.

However, I would say that statisically you're still pretty safe in getting a unit in perfect order. Also, there's no guarantee that other revisions will be entirely trouble-free; the last MB update also saw a new problem (machines not waking up if sleeping in clamshell mode, imsmr) - rather unusual, but it can happen!

As Jessy, you can pick up a refurb model and save a few bucks - personally, I would wait out a bit longer for the update and then see what my options were.

ctango

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
Mountains

Regardless of which one you buy, if you buy the warranty you should be okay.

Jessy

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2006
NE Ohio
Regardless of which one you buy, if you buy the warranty you should be okay.

Having to send your only computer away is not a viable option. I HAVE to get a new iMac to replace one of the horrible MacBook Pros we have. A warranty won't make up for a junky product.

That being said, I doubt the iMac will be junky.

darkanddivine

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
All new tech products are likely to have teething problems of some sort - and I understand why people prefer to wait before rushing out to buy the latest and greatest.

However, I would say that statisically you're still pretty safe in getting a unit in perfect order. Also, there's no guarantee that other revisions will be entirely trouble-free; the last MB update also saw a new problem (machines not waking up if sleeping in clamshell mode, imsmr) - rather unusual, but it can happen!

As Jessy, you can pick up a refurb model and save a few bucks - personally, I would wait out a bit longer for the update and then see what my options were.

I know it gets asked a lot, and though the new macs sound as if they are going to be brilliant, but I genuinely am not sure which to get. I hope we get to see a few pics of the new machines soon and some specs so I can get a better picture. Of course like Jessy says I might be able to get a final rev white iMac for not much after the new ones are released if I want to save money.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
We could be days away, but we could be months away. If you can wait, I would wait, just because all the rumors point to new iMacs coming soon. However, we've been hearing these rumors for a long time, and they easily could just be rumors.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Also, I can't imagine these new iMacs will out perform the current generation by any large margin. Nothing like the move to Intel did for the iMac.

So unless this new, rumored, form factor is important to you, I'd say get now. You are likely to get a machine that only has marginally less performance than the new machine, and at a great price. Remember the Rev A of the current iMac was quite expensive when compared to today's models.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
hey dark,

i would hang on unless you have a project that needs it and/or that can help bring in money.

if it's for pleasure, grin and bear it for a few more weeks.

i was going to buy an imac g5 w/isight for my kitchen, but i'm going to wait to see what all the options are. then i'll make a call.

good luck grinning and bearing it :)
keebler

darkanddivine

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Also, I can't imagine these new iMacs will out perform the current generation by any large margin. Nothing like the move to Intel did for the iMac.

So unless this new, rumored, form factor is important to you, I'd say get now. You are likely to get a machine that only has marginally less performance than the new machine, and at a great price. Remember the Rev A of the current iMac was quite expensive when compared to today's models.

I called apple today and asked about my spec (20", 2g RAM upped processor speed etc etc) and they were happy to confirm it for me so it seems they are still taking orders. I was cheeky and asked them about the new iMacs and the guy on the end of the phone said "at the moment that is all speculation" and he went on to say literally when they are released that si when people will know about it. So that is that.

Unless I hear anything substantial in the next day or so, I'm buying soon because I waited a while earlier in the year and the signs pointed to a release then. I have seen and used the iMacs for a while now and they are a pleasure to have so lets see what the next few days holds!

pcorajr

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I called apple today and asked about my spec (20", 2g RAM upped processor speed etc etc) and they were happy to confirm it for me so it seems they are still taking orders. I was cheeky and asked them about the new iMacs and the guy on the end of the phone said "at the moment that is all speculation" and he went on to say literally when they are released that si when people will know about it. So that is that.

Unless I hear anything substantial in the next day or so, I'm buying soon because I waited a while earlier in the year and the signs pointed to a release then. I have seen and used the iMacs for a while now and they are a pleasure to have so lets see what the next few days holds!

I did the same today. I talked to an apple rep online and told him that i wanted to buy a Imac but i was holding back until the new ones came out. He said that i should not do that because as of right now he did not know when those PC will be ready for production.

Now usually if this was somebody at best buy / elsewhere I would say they are just pushing a sale. Maybe he was maybe he is not.

Regardless i am going to purchase a 24" tomorrow with the upgrade to the video card. This computer will do everything i want to do just fine so that is what im getting. Plus the fact that my PC is about to Die makes waiting not such a good idea.

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
Would a guy doing telesales know what the iMac was going into production?

Absolutely not. And they have undoubtedly been told exactly what to say when people call and ask about new product releases.

At the moment I would hold out as long as possible for the next revision, which is probably comming sooner than later. It has been almost a full year(!) since the last update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.