Is it worth considering an original 1,1 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dazey, Jan 31, 2010.

1. dazey macrumors 6502

I am looking at second hand mac pros. I am really after a 2008 version (8 core) but am also wondering if it is worth considering an original version and upgrading the processors to quad cores. The original ones can be had for quite good prices. What would I loose on an original one? I know there is the 64 EFI issue with the original one, anything else to be aware of?

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

PCI-Express 1.0 instead of 2.0

= half the bandwidth. won't be an issue now but soon GPU's will saturate a PCI-Ex 1.0 slot

3. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

No, these machines are still good for general or backup machines, but the aging processors and RAM clock make them poor workstations. If you want any kind of graphics expandability options, go with '08.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'd say no unless you can get one for a super low price.

5. dazey thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys, guess its worth waiting for an 08 to come along. Getting an original and upgrading it is probably a higher risk strategy as well!

6. maghemi macrumors 6502

Ad to that, by the time you get all the bits to upgrade the older ones, and all the time spent dicking around. The money saved would have evaporated.

Only buy the older ones if you don't want to upgrade I'd suggest.

Well upgrade CPU's that is. Upgrading the video and memory is a piece of piss. You can even get the GTX 285 working in the old ones easily enough.

So realistically the only Major reason not to buy one is the EFI32 v EFI64 issue.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

he's right. for most people who have had a 2006 model for a while, i'd say it isn't worth it to upgrade. but if you're looking for a new machine, i think you'd get more value for your dollar out of a 2008.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you want to work in Windows only, the 2006's are quite suitable though, as you can get a 64bit version installed, and it can run the latest PC graphics cards just as any other PC.

But for OS X, the graphics cards are limited, and the ability to upgrade OS X will disappear when it goes K64 exclusively given K64 won't run on EFI32 systems (and Apple has no intention of changing that fact - no firmware update will come).

9. PurpleLogix macrumors member

PurpleLogix

All it takes is one firmware update, but nooooo, Apple won't do that. I guess if it was an iPad it would have been updated 3 time by now.....

10. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

The only reason I can see of buying an '06 is to resell it for a higher price, due to the uncertainty of their worth in the market. I bought this one for $1,100 the other day and a guy is picking it up this week for $1,700 :rolleyes:

Might seem like manipulation, but to me it's just making use of the ridiculous resale value.