Is it worth dual booting OS X and Ubuntu Linux?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mcrfan020100, May 11, 2014.

1. mcrfan020100 macrumors newbie

^

I'm also new to OSX, but I've always wanted to try Ubuntu. Besides the question above, is it better to just have OS X Mavericks on an iMac 27" Mid 2010 or dualboot both OS'. Thanks

2. pedromcm.pm macrumors 6502

I used Ubuntu for more than an year, before buying my first Mac. I think that it is important to learn to learn, right?

For a few months, I enjoyed Ubuntu, but bugs are always present, sooner or later updates go wrong, everybody has their own opinion about everything, software is inferior on every way, etc.

Ubuntu offers nothing to someone that has a copy of Windows 7 or 8, and I honestly think that Windows is no match for OS X.

If you want to try it, use a virtual machine. The novelty factor will quickly fade. Ubuntu is worthless for a Mac (or pc) user.

It isn't bad, but it's just that it doesn't offer anything. If you have a Mac, the OS is free anyway. 0 reason.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Worth is a subjective term. If you just want to play with Ubuntu, I recommend using Vmware Fusion and running Ubuntu inside of OSX

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I also would suggest virtualization for Ubuntu for testing/learning purpose; even for later in "production" if required. Fusion is fine, I used it too before moving to a dedicated hardware with ESXi (and Ubuntu and FreeBSD)

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I virtualize Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu using Fusion, all for different purposes and with great success

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I started tinkering with Linux around the time OSX came out. My most recent Linux usage was in a Netbook I got in late 2009. I had already been using OSX on my desktop but still wanted to tinker. Once my iPad replaced that netbook, I never looked back. I still keep Linux around on servers and so forth but my computing needs are covered quite nicely by iOS and OSX.

As for running Linux on your Mac, may I suggest virtualbox. It's free so you have zero out of pocket to enjoy tinkering with Linux. A lot of what you might learn tinkering with Linux is already available to you in Terminal in OSX.

7. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

If all you want to do is try it out, then I'd use a VM. It's easier to get rid of it if you decide you don't like it.

If you want to use it full time for a few weeks and see how you like it, then dual booting may be a better option. This will be a lot more convenient if you're booting into Ubuntu a lot, since you can boot straight into it versus booting into OS X and then starting the VM.