Is it worth fixing my 15" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DHagan4755, Mar 2, 2009.

1. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Hi everyone,

I hope that I could get some rational opinion. I have a 2.2GHz Santa Rosa MacBook Pro. I got around Thanksgiving 2007. Approximately 2 months ago, just after its 1 year warranty expired, it started doing this.

At the Apple Store, the genius quoted me approximately $900 to fix. I consulted a local Boston Apple fix-it shop, and they said it would be approximately $800. Finally, Drew at iResQ quoted me around $400.

Now here's the thing...I am pretty sure the battery needs replacement too. At the end of the day, I could have the problems sorted out for probably just under $550.

In the meantime, I bought a new matte 17" MBP. But it's got me thinking...is it worth fixing? What would it be worth if I wanted to sell it (fixed)?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, you can try and fix and sell it and put the earned money towards the new 17....AND... Buy Applecare for the new 17". Honestly you need Applecare on a notebook.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I disagree about the need for AC on a laptop.

Its going to get dented which means that for AC to do anything you'll have to pony up for new cases. Its just not cost effective on a laptop.