Is it worth getting a 2017 mac pro considering it has the wifi/usb issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnAppleADayKeepsTheDrAway, Sep 28, 2017.

1. AnAppleADayKeepsTheDrAway macrumors newbie

I'm shopping for a laptop and would like a macbook since I intend on developing on it and prefer the unix/linux ecosystem, but the wifi/usb-c issue has me concerned. Is it a big deal or should I wait for the next macbooks in 2018 (assuming they fix the issue then...)

2. JesterAZ macrumors member

3. AnAppleADayKeepsTheDrAway thread starter macrumors newbie

Due to interference (from poor shielding in the mac), plugging usb-c (usb 3.0 and above) to the macbook pro causes the wifi to stop working. It's an issue that many people have reported since the 2016 release.

4. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Ummmm...

When I'm connected at work, I have a USB-C -> DVI adapter, TB3 -> TB2 adapter (With a Thunderbolt display connected and a keyboard connected to it), a USB-C -> USB-A adapter with a Yubikey, and the USB-C charge cord connected with only wifi connectivity AND with a Magic Touchpad connected via Bluetooth and I have ZERO problems with wifi and BT. None. Everything works without a problem.

So, I'm not sure what issue you're talking about or where you read about it, but as far as I'm concerned whoever said this is a problem needs to recheck their facts.

5. AnAppleADayKeepsTheDrAway thread starter macrumors newbie

One of the first videos that spoke of this problem:

In this very forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-macbook-pro-wifi-drops-when-externals-connected.2012327/

You can check online, the issue is common.

It has to do with USB 3.0 and the fact it interferes with 2.4GHZ: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...al-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

All the wifi I use is 5GHz, so if you also have 5GHz then you should be able to figure out if it will be a problem for you. Your initial post implied this was a problem across the board and provided no specifics, even when someone else asked again what the problem was, so forgive me for taking your initial posts with a grain of salt. :)

If the wifi you use is 2.4GHz then probably not a good idea unless you have the option of being hardwired in.

7. AnAppleADayKeepsTheDrAway thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm aware of this workaround, but can't shake the feeling that the system is flawed due to this. Hard pill to swallow when you spend 3K on a laptop. Especially since 5GHZ has a shorter range so it's not a perfect 'solution'.

8. leman macrumors G3

All devices have that issue. It’s an inherent incompatibility of 2.4ghz WiFi and usb3 which is well documented. And that video is manipulative at best. That guy is a technician and he should know better than manipulating his viewers. He fails to mention that the Dell XP’s has exactly the same issues (google it). Abs that these issues are also situational. In the office, I don’t have any problems using usb 3 while on 2.4ghz network.

P.S. if you are waiting for a “fix”, you’ll be waiting for a very long time, since it can’t really be fixed. Best way to avoid any problems is to use properly shielded cables and sub devices.

9. AnAppleADayKeepsTheDrAway thread starter macrumors newbie

True, looks like people with dell have the problem too. What are the recommended dongles that should be used then? Such as dongles for usb 3.0, hdmi, card readers (or all in one).

10. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Another new member with the sky is falling we are all going to die thread. Seriously? just don't buy one and goodbye...

11. ZapNZs, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I can reproduce the wifi issue on virtually every laptop that has USB 3 with 2.4 GHz signals. With virtually every laptop I have used with USB ports on both sides, one side almost always seems to cause more interference than the other (presumably due to the location of the wifi antenna.)

At least with the MBP, changing the WiFI channel seems to be an effective means of mitigating the problem. Further, using well shielded cables and devices that do NOT sit right next to the MBP's frame (such as the SanDisk SD card reader) can help. Additionally, if you constantly must use 3.1, cannot change the interface, cannot utilize 5 GHz or hardwired, cannot change the device, cannot change the channel, the MBP has ThunderBolt 3, meaning you can purchase a TB3 dock and relocate the USB 3 ports several feet away from the MBP. With most other laptops, that luxury isn't even an option.

I use Thunderbolt, eSATA, and USB 2.0 as an alternative to 3.1, as I don't see the USB issue getting better anytime soon (3.1 gen 2 has the same problem). This is not Apple's fault.

12. JesterAZ macrumors member

That's weird. I haven't had that problem at all, and I have 5 things connected to my MBP while listening to music in my blue tooth headphones and connected to WiFi.

Did you try taking your MBP to the apple store and explaining this issue?

13. AnAppleADayKeepsTheDrAway thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, makes sense.. By the way do you know if this happens with the macbook? I wonder why this problem seems to have only gotten traction with the 2016 mac pro.

14. leman macrumors G3

Because of manipulative reporting (like that Rossmann character) and people who spread around such reports without actually having looked into the matter. Thats how populism works ;) Or as a certain someone would put it, "fake news".

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604