Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numberfour

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2015
I have never used cases on my macs, and don't see any reason to add weight and bulk. I rather take good care of my gadgets

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I guess I'm the minority on this one - I've got cases on both of my machines, and have done so since at least 2011. it adds a little weight, which I'm not concerned about, but I'd be really pissed if I got a major scratch on it. The case on my 15" has already saved it from quite a few knicks on the lid. To each their own though - its your property, do with it as you will :)

I too like having my mac in a case. I for one do not like the feel of the aluminum so I use a tasteful plastic shell case.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
I have had a Speck clear case on my MBP from virtually day 1 - been meaning to ditch it, since whereas it mostly did what I guess it was intended to - it also (ironically??) contributed to some of the scratches picked up!

>> Specks of ?? got in between the cover and the body, and being trapped - when pressure was applied through carrying it around in my laptop bag, they marked the case itself.

Main reason I still use it - I find that the feet of my case are 'grippier' than the standarb black pads on the cMBP. The few times I have used it without the cover, with my not being used to it, I nearly sent it flying across the desk/surface I was resting it on - again, something to easily get used to - but that would be a single 'feature' that might be improved through the use of a cover.

sqa4life

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
Really? Who the hell puts a case on a MBP?

It makes me think of the iPad cases that parents put on iPads so that their 3yr-olds can drop them over and over.
I do. We have 2 toddlers in the house and we protect most of our expensive electronic devices. We use the device, we don't look at it or show it to our neighbors.

OP: I have this case and very happy with it. http://www.amazon.com/Kuzy-13-Inch-LEATHER-MacBook-Leatherette/dp/B00H1YYCWA/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA

Rhcpcjg

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014

sqa4life

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
do you also have a protector case for the tv, dish washer, cable box, blu ray player, plastic wrap on your furniture?
I guess you didn't read my previous comment twice. I said we protect "most" of our expensive electronic devices, not "all". There's a big difference between the two words. :)
I have no problem with other people doing whatever they wanted to their properties.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
There are always good reasons to protect it like having toddlers who have an affinity for crayons etc.

But all those reasons aside, unless you plan to sell it on eBay in a year or two, there's no point.

The truth is, if you're going to run it to the ground, it's going to be sitting in the corner of your room in need of a $900 repair that won't be worth it because it's 5 years old and you'll be instead using your brand new late 2020 MBP 8K notebook.

:apple:

Cardsnk

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
I have a rMBP 15inch early 2013. Put a cover on it, even a wrist protector and a trackpad protector, Regretted it. Fried my logic board, because of overheat issues, luckily i am under warranty. Never will i put another cover on my macbook pro again, as i am also doing intensive tasks that drive the laptop to vent out heat so much. Your "nude" macbook laptop will do just fine. Nevermind the scratches that you'll encounter (i myself became worried too) you will eventually have one.

LV-16

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
Been using my cMBP for almost 4 years without a case, I have 0 scratches. Looks brand new.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
I have two cases for my late 2013 MBPr. But I'm leaning towards just rockin my MBPr nude.

I assume I'll get a couple scratches over time, but hey it's not like the laptop will last forever anyway, and I won't ever sell it. I'll run this computer to the ground.

All a case does is protect it from scratches, a drop would still be devastating.

Plus cases do add weight. I notice a difference for sure.

I'm thinking of just using a sleeve from now on. No case.

I will only say this. If you don't travel much, go for it. If, like me, you travel for a living, don't do it! After going through 2 Speck cases, you know the $2.00 of plastic that sells for $50? I went "nude" when I bought my last 13" rMBP from BB in late 2013. Two week later it took a short dive to the floor and it put a nice 3" long dent in the bottom. I was FREAKED. I don't remember how I did it but I ended up getting an exchange from BB. If they ever make an Airish version of the Pro next year, or they drop the price of the MacPad 12" to about $799 so I can justify an attractive but gutless wonder for just travel I would probably try my luck again. I am about to order a maxed out 13" from Apple who will never tolerate a dented return, I will be getting a new Speck or that cheaper one sold on Amazon Kozy I think. Be careful my friend!

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I stuck a red/white iCarbons skin on the top and bottom of mine. Makes it look like a big candy cane. My kid loves candy canes (he's 3.)

On a related note: 9 months, 10 days until Christmas.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I will only say this. If you don't travel much, go for it. If, like me, you travel for a living, don't do it! After going through 2 Speck cases, you know the $2.00 of plastic that sells for $50? I went "nude" when I bought my last 13" rMBP from BB in late 2013. Two week later it took a short dive to the floor and it put a nice 3" long dent in the bottom. I was FREAKED. I don't remember how I did it but I ended up getting an exchange from BB. If they ever make an Airish version of the Pro next year, or they drop the price of the MacPad 12" to about $799 so I can justify an attractive but gutless wonder for just travel I would probably try my luck again. I am about to order a maxed out 13" from Apple who will never tolerate a dented return, I will be getting a new Speck or that cheaper one sold on Amazon Kozy I think. Be careful my friend!

I just received my Kuzy plastic case, and so far it's better than a Speck in that it has a little "grip", nothing getting inside (so far), and it was $19.99 on Amazon. I travel and it's constantly in and out of my briefcase bag..

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
Do people have/get their vehicle(s) washed after each and every time they drive it around? Same thing with your Apple device(s), it's an item after all! Enjoy it as much as you can, stop worrying about small cosmetic details!

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
I don't believe in adding cases to my devices. This is for Macs, iPhones, and iPads. I personally like the grip that the device gives and I don't want to hide it's beauty. Why add a case that is going to add weight to a light profile device? Also, it changes the design/look/feel of something I paid premium bucks for. When I travel with my laptop and iPad it is in a padded sleeve inside of a laptop bag or purse. When the device is in use I am at a table and not worried about dropping my device. The case isn't needed at all.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I have two cases for my late 2013 MBPr. But I'm leaning towards just rockin my MBPr nude.

I assume I'll get a couple scratches over time, but hey it's not like the laptop will last forever anyway, and I won't ever sell it. I'll run this computer to the ground.

All a case does is protect it from scratches, a drop would still be devastating.

Plus cases do add weight. I notice a difference for sure.

I'm thinking of just using a sleeve from now on. No case.

It's common and nearly exclusive to some Apple lovers to think sex when speaking about their metal inanimate objects. I don't understand unless human contact is something they lack, or avoid, or whatever.

It just seems so bizarre...

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
Do people have/get their vehicle(s) washed after each and every time they drive it around? Same thing with your Apple device(s), it's an item after all! Enjoy it as much as you can, stop worrying about small cosmetic details!

Actually, I do! I have a monthly $15 car wash membership that allows me to get unlimited car washes. It pays for itself after 4 visits. I usually go at least 2-3 times a week. I live in a muddy (and snowy) area so it is worth it. I know this is unrelated, but just thought I would pop in and say that there are people out there that wash their car more than the average.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
How do you get over them?

The first one crushed me, I'll admit. I'd gotten my mid-09 to start college, and it scratched on one of those lecture hall flip up desks. Then I just had to accept the rest of them. Scratches happen with Apple products. What I've learned about those plastic cases is that you have to take them off to clean out the dust buildup or it'll scratch anyway. So at least if I go naked I can keep my Mac's temp down, and I don't get dust scratches that I have no control over. I usually put my sleeve under my Mac when I'm using it at a desk or table. The first scratch I got on my 09 was on the bottom. The other noticeable one is on the top, but I don't know how it got there.

tl;dr You'll adjust in time and just enjoy using your Mac without worrying about its cosmetic appearance.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
It's common and nearly exclusive to some Apple lovers to think sex when speaking about their metal inanimate objects. I don't understand unless human contact is something they lack, or avoid, or whatever.

It just seems so bizarre...

This made me lol. It's true! Yeah it's just a laptop. A few scratches mean nothing. Heck even a lot of scratches aren't a big deal. As long as you're enjoying it, that's all that matters.

It's an object that has a life. Usually 5 years or so. If you can get more years great. But eventually, you'll get a new one anyway. Might as well enjoy it to the fullest until then.

nobodyjustwalks

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
Funny thing is, Iʻve never put a case on any of my laptops, but I have to have one for my phone. Sure my iPhone 6+ has the Apple leather case, and itʻs super form fitting and unobtrusive, but I canʻt imagine one for my rMBP. Thin, slim, form fitting, whatever it might be, I just wouldnʻt put one on my laptop. Itʻs too much. The laptop is big enough that enjoying it is about leaving it uncovered, for me anyway.

Weird isnʻt it? I think cases hinder the laptop user experience, but not the mobile phone user experience. loll...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.