Is it worth getting a Iphone3G right now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hdsalinas, Sep 9, 2010.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi,

I am being offered for a reasonable a jailbroken iOS4 running 16GB white iPhone 3G. The back is scratched - probable more than average but I guess I could get a nice black case for it or get a replacement cover from ebay.

I currently have a Blackberry 8900 and is not as fun and cool as the iphone, but most, if not all of my friends and relatives have a BB and the BBM is addictive, I would hate to be out of the circle. That is probably the only reason I keep it.

My question is, is it worth getting a 3G right now. I know that probably by next year it will no longer be supported by apple but will most software (apps and games) available today run ok on it?

I decided to get an iPad and keep my Blackberry -that way I have a little of both worlds, but this iphone is very tempting.

2. 184550 Guest

I'd say no.

If all your family and friends use BB and it's more convenient for you, why change?

As you stated, you already have an iPad. Personally, I'd set aside the money you would spend on the 3G and just wait awhile and then get a 3GS once the price drops even more.

IMO, Apple has already pretty much abandoned the 3G, at this point you'd be buying it strictly for the novelty of owning an iPhone.

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

What's the price? if it's around $100 or less go for it. It will run most apps, it's just pretty slow and laggy at this point, but if you can deal with that go for it, at worst you have a good iPod.

Edit: if you want to stay inthe bb fold, the torch is a good alternative and it'll run a little faster than the iPhone 3G. The bb app store is also growing with 10,000 apps available, just most don't have the fit and finish of iPhone apps.

4. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

You are probably right...

Is just that everytime I see my coworker with it I can hear it calling me hahaha.

BTW I dont own a ipad yet... What I meant to say was that I have decided to get one in the near future. :D

5. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I agree with this, except I say around $80 or less. Any more than that would be ridiculous because you have an iPad which pretty much provides you with the same user experience as an iPhone would, just on a larger scale.

6. g35 macrumors 6502a

Keep your 8900. My 3G had enough trouble with games last year, and they're only getting more and more intensive. Listening to music and doing anything else meant music skipping for sure, etc etc.

8900 if you ask me is the nicest looking smartphone, so maybe I'm biased.

7. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Go for the i4 I just upgraded from my 3G and I gotta say the 3G sux

8. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

You say white. Is it a 3GS or a 3G as I don't recall there being a white 3G model (I could be wrong though). If it's a 3GS then for sure I say go for it but no more than $125 considering it's scratched. If it is a 3G then I couldn't see it unless it's between $50 - $75 bucks. It would run slow and studder somewhat but would still be a better option then an old blackberry 8900.

9. jacollins macrumors 6502a

The only way I would take a 3G is if they paid me to take it. Get the i4.

10. iphone3DG3 macrumors member

Yeah, there was actually a white iPhone 3G, but it was an exclusive model (I guess) because it was not available in 8GB (only 16GB). I never had the 3G, but all my friends that use the 3G now complain about how slow it is. I'd say skip it. A 3GS would be a better choice at this time.

11. chembox macrumors 6502a

You will hate the speed of the 3G and will definitely want to go back to the BB world. If you're going to get an iPhone right now, honestly, it's best to just get the 3GS or iPhone 4.

12. 184550 Guest

Ah, ok. Well in that case, I would just use the money that you would have used for the iPhone 3G to put towards the iPad or iTunes gift card for Apps.