Is it worth getting a MBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vizzyx, Aug 19, 2010.

  1. Vizzyx macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2009
    Location:
    Moscow, Russia / Buckingham, UK / Chicago, IL
    #1
    Hi everyone.

    I am contemplating purchasing a new MacBook Pro 15" with all the specs pretty much to the maximum (2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD, Hi-Res matte screen), but I am just wondering if it's a wise decision to get one now.

    I mean, these have been out since April, and I just don't want to get a super-expensive laptop (I mean, let's be real, it is quite expensive with those specs) that I want to last for years (hence the specs) if Apple will be out with a new one this Autumn. That already happened to me once when I got a black MacBook just 2 months before Unibody came out, I was very annoyed with myself for not being informed and too hasty. Anyone who bought a piece of hardware just before a refresh must know the feeling.

    I don't desperately need one, I have a 13" MBP, but that was bought because I didn't have money to get a 15" at the time, and I still regret it, because, no matter how much I love it, 13" is just not enough for my needs (virtualisation, HD video processing, occasional gaming etc.).

    I am aware of the buyer's guide, but that lists MBPs as "neutral" which means, well, nothing, and brings me back to the question.

    Should I get one now or should I wait?
     
  2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

    TheBritishBloke

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #2
    Oh no! They've been out a whole 4 MONTHS?!?!

    In all seriousness... Just buy it. Chances are the next upgrade will leave your i7 as a mid-range if not still a high-end model. So :)
     
  3. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 15, 2009
    Location:
    MI
    #3
    Check the buyer's guide.

    But the typical response most users will give you is to buy it if you absolutely need it. You're not going to be disappointed with the performance of that MBP, regardless of if a refresh is coming soon.
     
  4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

    rotobadger

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2007
    #4
    Buy it. If it's a MBP you want then I don't see why you would wait. Although no one can predict when they will update again it is unlikely you will see any changes until sometime middle of next year (again, that's just my guess).

    I have my 17'' i5 and have not looked back even once!
     
  5. Vizzyx thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2009
    Location:
    Moscow, Russia / Buckingham, UK / Chicago, IL
    #5
    Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I should indeed get one.
     
  6. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

    iPhone1

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2010
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #6
    I just got my 15" MBP with HR AG screen, i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD.

    Was it a lot of money? Yes.

    Last time I spent a huge amount on a Mac? My 2003 PowerBook G4 which the MBP will replace. Longevity is why people stay Mac users.

    Anyway, I wouldn't expect a "major" upgrade of the MBP line until early next year anyway. Only really changes that may come are USB 3.0 support, Sandy Bridge processor and maybe cheaper SSD's.

    Time to buy is now. Try using a student discount or an organization discount from PPA or others. May be worth paying the $100 PPA fee (anyone can join) to save at least a few hundred at the Apple Store. PPA.com
     
  7. apolloa macrumors G3

    apolloa

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    Location:
    Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
    #7
    JUST BUY IT GOD DAMN IT!!!!!!

    haha, all I would expect to happen is for Apple to use the newer i7 chips which are just faster I think but not by much, they may even only be BTO's. you won't get much else new IMO.

    The next big updates will be next year sometime with Sandy Bridge, and even they may not be massively faster then the i7.
    Seriously, mines wicked. The only thing I am doing is chucking in 8 gigs or ram at some point and I will get a intel G3 SSD or an OCZ SSD in it next year cause the Seagate 7200rpm drive is bloody noisy, clunky and slow...
     
  8. aznpride macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2009
    #8
    just buy it, doubt that there will be a huge design change anyways, just some speed bumps along the way until next year
     
  9. ceshimm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2010
    #9
    i would say buy it now. MBP is amazing to me. Although i only have Mac experience for one and half day till now. i love my machine. MBP will get update every 8-10 months, so waiting game is not funny at all.
     

Share This Page