Is it worth getting a rMBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danielwerner, Oct 28, 2012.

1. danielwerner macrumors regular

danielwerner

Hi,

I've been a windows user since I was a kid, probably 15-20 years now. It has worked for me, but since I got an iPhone I've never wanted to switch back to any other phone. I get the impression that it's the same with a mac computer.

So now I really want the 15" rMBP. I've probably googled the entire internet for threads about it, and the issue with image retention/ghosting scares me. If I'm going to pay over 3000 dollars (that's what the lowest settings cost in europe, FML) I really want something flawless. And I'd hate that my first mac-experience was ruined by the notebook not being as great as it could be.

So, what do you say? Should I just go for it? Do you think I'll be disappointed? Or is it unwise to buy a first gen retina macbook now, so I should wait until next gen 2013?

2. sensorian macrumors member

If you have google the entire internet for threads about it as you suggest then you will have seen that there are already hundreds of threads just on here about this very topic.

The consensus is that there are people that have had problems and have had to get replacements, whereas for most it's an issue that has not materialised at all or can only be recreated by going looking for it.

I fall into the latter category, never had any problems but I can recreate the effect if I really try by using a background I would never use with an image I would never use on top of it. After several minutes I do get a little image retention. Really no big issue.

I really couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. It is the single most rewarding piece of technology I have ever owned. By the way I switched from Windows when I bought my RMBP in August and would never go back.

3. zipur macrumors 6502

if you wait till the perfect wonderfully made machine to comes out you will never get a new machine. I have a simular story to yours, I did the Ipad.
    Which lead me to an Iphone, then apple tv, ipod finally the rMBP.
    My only regret is that I waited way too long! I wasted so many years with windows junk. I recommend you go for it, don't wait, be at the store before it opens and get your rMBP today! By the way there are many more people who don't have any issues with the display, including me.

4. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

The 15" rmbp has been out for nearly 5 months now so any problems should have been ironed out by now. I bought one on launch day and its the best laptop I've ever had.

You have a 2weeks return period with apple so you have absolutely nothing to lose

5. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

the 15" (maxed out) rMBP is THE best laptop in the world at the moment, so if u want the best it´s an easy choice

6. Liquinn Suspended

True, next year there'll be something better.

I hate with the retina MBPs' - you're stuck with what you buy ;(

7. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Absolutely, why did I wait so long?

I have never found another laptop medium that is as well defined and consistently executed as the MacBook platform.

The 15" inch Retina is by far the best laptop I have every owned or used.

Now each to his own but I cannot think of any other laptop product that I would swap it for.

8. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

I made the jump from Windows/Sony Vaio Z to the rMBP right after ML came out. Happily Chrome released their Retina update the day after I got my unit.

I haven't had any issues with the display. My display is a Samsung.

I put a lot of time and research into the "do I jump" question. Particularly since I had purchased the very expensive Vaio Z a year ago. My pro/con list suggested that I should not upgrade. Ultimately I decided I wanted to try the coolest machine Apple's ever made and threw away my pro/con list.

I'm really happy that I did!