Is it worth getting an external amplifier for high end headphones on an iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by gusping, Jan 2, 2014.

1. gusping macrumors 6502

Hi,

I just bought a pair of B&W P7 Headphones ($400/£330) and in some of the reviews i've read people have been using external amplifiers which apparently increase the sound quality such as: http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-E06-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8 . This is just one example, there are many different amps ranging in quality and price.

Does anyone have experience using an amplifier with an iDevice and if they are worth it with high end headphones?

2. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

If you're using a headset with a high impedance, an amp will absolutely help. Better to have an amp and keep everything set at 50% or lower than have to push your volume to near max all the time. "Overhead" is an important concept in audio.

For mobile amps, the Fiio series is probably your best bet. The e06 is okay, but it's really a minor boost. I would heavily suggest the e11.

3. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, would it be needed on my iMac 27" or does that have a good amp in it?

4. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

For higher end headphones an amp is always recommended. Desktops just aren't built for it. When I use my Beyerdynamic DT770s I always amp it up. The e11 should be fine though. It's a burly little amp for its price.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

Leckerton makes a great portable amp, but its spendy. It also works well from a laptop using a digital audio cable. I have a prior model and run it from an iPod Classic.

http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s-mkii/\

Though I wonder if there are interface cables that use the lightning connector? I am using a Fiio cable to connect the Leckerton with the iPod classic that is the old connector.

6. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Not true. My Shure SRH 1840 doesn't need an amp. Same is true for the AKG K812 also.

----------

I don't think the B&W P7 needs an amplifier since it has a very low impedance.

If I use my Apogee One with the Shure SE535 on my iPad / iPhone, the sound greatly improves (it's like night and day difference). But that improvement is probably due to the converters rather than the need of amplification. The quality of the iDevices doesn't do the Shure SE535 justice.

7. Andyyyy macrumors member

The P7 are designed to be used with mobile devices and will not require an amplifier. It may make a difference, however it will not justify buying an amplifier solely for them. I have numerous headphones and the low impedence ones do not really benefit from an amplifier. When using high impedence headphones, you will know if you need an amplifier simply because they will not sound loud or good at all.

8. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I said "recommended", not "required". Obviously impedance is the key factor here, but if you're using onboard sound cards to push high quality drivers you're still missing out, even if it does get "loud enough" for you.

9. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Are there LOD's with the lightning connector out there yet? I haven't followed the trends closely. If there isn't and you are unable to get a direct line out feed, I would use the amp with a source that has a line out for your high end listening needs.

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

No amp needed here either. I have the Shure SE315 and listening to music I can only turn it up 50%. Anything past that is too loud. No EQ needed. :cool: Stock headphones I need it up 85%.

I listened to the B&W Headphones at the Apple store and they didn't sound any better than the Apple headphones.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's not all about loudness.

12. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

You be the judge, I use Weston UM2 and absolutely benefit from amp., but I don't use it often, to many things to worry about and make sure they're charged etc., but pretty sure you will notice the difference.

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Yes I know that. That's why I use the Shure headphones. Its about quality. Loudness is what the OP is looking to do with his high end headphones. Increase the volume if you will. lol You wouldn't need any amplifier.

Loudness is define as making something more audible. :cool:

14. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

In which part of the post did he mention loudness or even anything about volume?

15. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Wow two trolls in one day. Must play the lotto.

Amplify is to increase the sound as volume is to make louder. There you go. That's what he said.

btw are you asking me because you don't know? If you refer to what I posted you will note that I listened to the B&W at the Apple store. There weren't a lot of people around, and yet I had to increase the volume (make it LOUD) in order for me to hear the music. I mentioned the Shure line because you don't have to add anything to it. Got it.

If you don't have anything to add, don't question me unless it adding to what was said or if you are curious to anything that I've found effective. Effective meaning functioning in facts or findings.

Again check the terms before you quote me please. Loudness = Audible. ;)