Is it worth getting high res screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by budge9, Jul 17, 2011.

1. budge9 macrumors member

I am just about to order a Macbook Pro and wondered if anybody thought it was worth paying more for a high res screen or an anti glare one?

Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. MrViking macrumors member

I concur.

I would love more screen real-estate ;) (wasn't available back then)

On antiglare: I do have that. Screen's brighter than a glare screen. (comparing a 13" and 15" MacBook pro)

I'd go with both.

4. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

It depends on your personal preference as well as the kind of tasks you will be using the computer for. If you're editing a lot of photos or video, then by all means the high resolution display is worth the additional cost because you'll have more screen estate to work with.

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Do a search of the forums. A TON of threads on this very subject

6. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I would, since you're always be looking at the screen.
    You should upgrade if you do the following:
    - Likes to watch HD Video
    - Photoshopping
    - Looking at photography
    - Video Editing
    - Multitasking

7. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Some people have reported eye strain using the hi res screen. With that being said, I would probably opt for the hi res option. But personally I prefer the glossy screen.

8. smali macrumors regular

I enjoy coming home after a long day's hard work. Firing up my mac with a nice bug cup of tea and sitting down to read the same questions being asked day in day out on macrumors.

9. budge9 thread starter macrumors member

Does anybody have the anti glare display or the glossy one? Any preferences to one over the other? Thanks.

10. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Just got my hi-res 15" MBP. Now anything in a lower resolution just looks awful. It's harder to read because everything is smaller, but there is must more screen space now. However, I prefer glossy over antiglare.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have a 2010 with the high-res anti-glare screen. I find the anti-glare screen much, much better than the glossy ones.

12. KaPOWitsCHRIS macrumors 6502

KaPOWitsCHRIS

With the anti glare you lose the black border around the screen, so if the external look of the MacBook matters to you then get a antiglare cover... Just my input...

13. orangepeel macrumors member

The downside of the hi-res screen is that the text are smaller. You can increase the font size, but on some websites the increased font size doesn't align correctly and the pages are distorted.

14. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I took a good long look at both the standard and hi-res MBPs on display at the Apple Store and decided it wasn't worth it.

15. eUnique macrumors member

I like the anti-glare so I can hang outside never having to worry about glare.

16. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lol so do I

17. MrViking macrumors member

Read my earlier comment. I have both a 15" antiglare (matte) screen and a 13" glossy screen.

Glossy has pretty nice vivid colors for watching videos. The matte screen emits more light, thus the backlight can be adjusted down which is means more batterylife. Oh and in light environments seeing yourself is really annoying.

If you want matte don't go with a foil u can apply like suggested earlier. That shifts colors and negatively affects your display in general.

18. jamisonbaines macrumors regular

If we could limit responses to people who actually have the product in question that'd probably help things.

I bought the 2011 15" with HR AG and it's okay. Reading these threads made it sound like a must but truthfully I find the resolution is high to the point that I want to sit back a way from my computer and use a bluetooth keyboard and trackpad, upon doing so it's too tiny to read comfortably.

So it is a nice upgrade if the resolution ups your productivity. I have a desktop with a 19" at 1440x900 (which is the standard 15" low res) and I'm just as happy with that.

I'd say that it's a nice option to have for bragging rights - and the aluminum bezel looks good - but I hardly think it's a necessity.

19. tcador macrumors regular

All about personal preference as others have noted.

For me, it's a must. I've still got my old 2007 MBP and every time I switch between the two it reminds just how much I enjoy the higher resolution. Both are AG so this is the only difference between the two.

The silver vs black bezel are irrelevant to me.

20. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I prefer glossy, I don't often work outside and the improved colour accuracy to the real world is a bonus, the price tag also concurs.

21. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

the standard resolution 15" has a lower ppi than the 13", if that tells you anything...

22. brianlhp macrumors newbie

If I buy MBP, I won't buy the Anti-glare. Although it won't have reflective on the screen, the image will not be clear. I suggest you to buy the hi-res glossy screen.:cool:

23. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

It's not that bad, Anti Glare is just too dull, the whole point of a glossy screen is the glass is crystal clear, Anti Glare it is made to distribute light and reduce glare unfortunately this dulls the colours and makes the screen less vibrant.
    I prefer my glossy screen.

24. jbjones85 macrumors member

I went Hi Res Anti Glare and No regrets here, the extra real estate is great, as is the ability to use outdoors without having to crank up the brightness.

25. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

And I love reading such snoody replies, day in, day out. Its a forum. Not a library.