Is it worth getting high res screen?

budge9

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I am just about to order a Macbook Pro and wondered if anybody thought it was worth paying more for a high res screen or an anti glare one?

Thanks.

MrViking

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
I concur.

I would love more screen real-estate ;) (wasn't available back then)

On antiglare: I do have that. Screen's brighter than a glare screen. (comparing a 13" and 15" MacBook pro)

I'd go with both.

Comment

Kyzelios

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Canada
It depends on your personal preference as well as the kind of tasks you will be using the computer for. If you're editing a lot of photos or video, then by all means the high resolution display is worth the additional cost because you'll have more screen estate to work with.

Comment

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Do a search of the forums. A TON of threads on this very subject

Comment

Chiuy

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
I would, since you're always be looking at the screen.
You should upgrade if you do the following:
- Likes to watch HD Video
- Photoshopping
- Looking at photography
- Video Editing
- Multitasking

Comment

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Some people have reported eye strain using the hi res screen. With that being said, I would probably opt for the hi res option. But personally I prefer the glossy screen.

Comment

smali

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
I enjoy coming home after a long day's hard work. Firing up my mac with a nice bug cup of tea and sitting down to read the same questions being asked day in day out on macrumors.

Comment

budge9

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Does anybody have the anti glare display or the glossy one? Any preferences to one over the other? Thanks.

Comment

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
Just got my hi-res 15" MBP. Now anything in a lower resolution just looks awful. It's harder to read because everything is smaller, but there is must more screen space now. However, I prefer glossy over antiglare.

Comment

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Coventry, UK
With the anti glare you lose the black border around the screen, so if the external look of the MacBook matters to you then get a antiglare cover... Just my input...

Comment

orangepeel

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
The downside of the hi-res screen is that the text are smaller. You can increase the font size, but on some websites the increased font size doesn't align correctly and the pages are distorted.

Comment

eUnique

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
I like the anti-glare so I can hang outside never having to worry about glare.

Comment

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

smali said:
I enjoy coming home after a long day's hard work. Firing up my mac with a nice bug cup of tea and sitting down to read the same questions being asked day in day out on macrumors.
Lol so do I

Comment

MrViking

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
Does anybody have the anti glare display or the glossy one? Any preferences to one over the other? Thanks.
Read my earlier comment. I have both a 15" antiglare (matte) screen and a 13" glossy screen.

Glossy has pretty nice vivid colors for watching videos. The matte screen emits more light, thus the backlight can be adjusted down which is means more batterylife. Oh and in light environments seeing yourself is really annoying.

If you want matte don't go with a foil u can apply like suggested earlier. That shifts colors and negatively affects your display in general.

Comment

jamisonbaines

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
CA
If we could limit responses to people who actually have the product in question that'd probably help things.

I bought the 2011 15" with HR AG and it's okay. Reading these threads made it sound like a must but truthfully I find the resolution is high to the point that I want to sit back a way from my computer and use a bluetooth keyboard and trackpad, upon doing so it's too tiny to read comfortably.

So it is a nice upgrade if the resolution ups your productivity. I have a desktop with a 19" at 1440x900 (which is the standard 15" low res) and I'm just as happy with that.

I'd say that it's a nice option to have for bragging rights - and the aluminum bezel looks good - but I hardly think it's a necessity.

Comment

tcador

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
NYC
All about personal preference as others have noted.

For me, it's a must. I've still got my old 2007 MBP and every time I switch between the two it reminds just how much I enjoy the higher resolution. Both are AG so this is the only difference between the two.

The silver vs black bezel are irrelevant to me.

Comment

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
I prefer glossy, I don't often work outside and the improved colour accuracy to the real world is a bonus, the price tag also concurs.

Comment

brianlhp

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
Hong Kong
If I buy MBP, I won't buy the Anti-glare. Although it won't have reflective on the screen, the image will not be clear. I suggest you to buy the hi-res glossy screen.:cool:

Comment

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
If I buy MBP, I won't buy the Anti-glare. Although it won't have reflective on the screen, the image will not be clear. I suggest you to buy the hi-res glossy screen.:cool:
It's not that bad, Anti Glare is just too dull, the whole point of a glossy screen is the glass is crystal clear, Anti Glare it is made to distribute light and reduce glare unfortunately this dulls the colours and makes the screen less vibrant.
I prefer my glossy screen.

Comment

jbjones85

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2011
I went Hi Res Anti Glare and No regrets here, the extra real estate is great, as is the ability to use outdoors without having to crank up the brightness.

Comment

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
And I love reading such snoody replies, day in, day out. Its a forum. Not a library.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.