Is it worth getting series 3 right now?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TechGod, May 10, 2018.

1. TechGod
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

TechGod

2. Relentless Power
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Worth is always subjective. Ask yourself what do you want from the Series 3 right now versus waiting to see what September _might_ offer for the Series 4. If you want the Series 3, take advantage of it now. Otherwise, if you are completely undecided, I Would wait, as the Series 4 is indicating a possible re-design, larger display and improved battery.

3. mtneer
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

mtneer

If you get a good enough deal for it, yes. If you are paying full ride for last years hardware now, then no.

4. matrix07
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

matrix07

Just got S3 LTE yesterday because it's just released at my telco. Now I don't have to bring my phone when running. That's alone worth the price to have.
    If S4 is always-on I'll sell this & buy that. If not, I'll wait for S5 (hopefully.. because there's still a big chance I'll buy S4 anyway :()
    YMMV. :)

5. TechGod
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Just bought it for 40 dollars off.

Very happy and I don’t mind when the Series 4 comes out

6. TechGod
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Thanks! Bought the S3 and I am in love

7. Soba1
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Soba1

Just njoy it

8. phillymacuser
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

I purchased a AW3 LTE few months ago. This is my first Apple Watch and I really enjoy it. If the new one is compelling enough, I will give this one to my kids and buy the next one.

9. bluespark
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

I'm hoping the S4 doesn't have a red crown. For me, that hope is worth the wait.

But the S3 is very capable. If you won't feel bad about not having the newest thing (and if you can get past that red crown), then buy it and enjoy!

10. Lennyvalentin
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

The dot is tiny in real life, insignificant really. Assuming you wear the watch the standard way with the crown towards your wrist you can't even see it yourself when using the watch normally...

It's too small a thing to get hung up on, IMO.

11. The Game 161
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors P6

The Game 161

It really isn't noticable and lets face it that dot will stay so people know they are getting the LTE model.

12. Relentless Power
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I read somewhere (No Source) that Jonny Ive was not satisified with the Red Dot, and now he is chief designer again, perhaps that might change for future iterations of the Watch.

13. steve31
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

steve31

Love the red crown.

14. matrix07, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018

matrix07
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

matrix07

Really love red dot. The first thing I notice when opening the box. Sound strange but it’s so beautiful.
    (Don’t mind blue dot, green dot etc. in the future either)

If you don’t like it, just cut a small round black sticker & cover it.

Attached Files:

15. Lennyvalentin
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Red dot looks exquisite on the white ceramic watch IMO... I'd love to combo with a green woven nylon or sports band, if I had almost $1500 to spend on a gadget that is.

I'm thinking nail polish would be more durable...

16. abdulkar.im
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

Looks great on the grey ceramic too

17. maflynn
    Expand Collapse

maflynn

Staff Member

In all honesty will we see a series 4? What could they do (other then spec bump the processor)?

18. Relentless Power
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

Relentless Power

^Series 4 will likely have some type of revamped design, but it’s been rumored to have a 15% larger display, increased battery efficiency and additional health related sensors or advancements. If anything, after three generations of the same Apple Watch design, I would expect at least the Apple Watch to tweak it’s form factor. Those hoping for a round design, _not_ likely.

19. matrix07, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018

matrix07
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

matrix07

Always On is only tangible improvement that's missing at this point (I'm assuming Face Store will be handled on iPhone) but I will pay for a much faster chip & a much better battery life though.

20. Lennyvalentin
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Personally I'm hoping for a slim/no-bezel display with rounded case contour corners, and - this is my personal dream feature - in-display touch ID sensor.

Unlock the watch with the touch of a finger, instead of having to fiddle and poke at a tiny on-screen keypad.

Also, one can probably expect the LTE cellular hardware in the next generation to draw much less power than is the case today.

21. Relentless Power
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

Relentless Power

My opinion, I don’t find an always on display completely necessary at all, and I don’t believe Apple will permit this, at least in terms of battery requirements I don’t think it would have been beneficial to the first generation/Series 1/Series 2 Apple Watch. Series 3 is likely much more efficient to handle an always on display. Raise to wake is sensitive enough as it is, where you have the option of allowing a 15 or 70 second screen wake. For me, if I’m not looking at my Apple Watch, why do I need an always on display?

22. matrix07
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

matrix07

It's great that it's working out for you but having a quick glance at your wrist is always faster, and also working universally on all positions even when you're lying horizontally, than lifting your wrist into the position that Raise To Wake will kick in.

23. Brian Y
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

Is raise-to-wake unreliable for you?

On my first gen, it was quite slow and buggy, but when I upgraded to s3, by the time I've looked down my screen is on.

24. Relentless Power
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I understand what you’re saying, but with raise the wake, it’s almost instantaneous. Especially how much it has improved from where it was with the sensitivity from the first generation Apple Watch, I think it’s just unnecessary for an always on display when its such a natural reaction to raise your rest as it is to look at the time when you’re wearing the watch.

25. matrix07
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

matrix07

It's reliable as it can be.