Is it worth getting the 32 gig?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ALongoria23, Jun 13, 2009.

1. ALongoria23 macrumors member

I have a 16 gig iPhone 3G, and i'm fixing to purchase the 3Gs this upcoming week. I have maybe a gig used, but I'm trying to figure out if i should get the 32 or just stick with 16 since i don't use it much. I just have pictures, and ringtones, and a few pages of apps but that's about it.

Help me decided macrumors.

(I also have the money to just spend so it's not like the 32 is out of my price range.)

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I have a 16GB and only used about 9gigs so I would say no

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Why would you need the 32 GB iPhone if all you use is 1 GB?

Why even ask?

4. zmanhoops macrumors newbie

if you're not going to be putting a bunch of music or movies on your phone, then 16 should be plenty

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

As you seem to be the type who has to have the latest incarnation of the iPhone, and you've not even begun to fill you current memory, I doubt you'd own a 32 long enough to fill it.

But hey, its your money. Max out that sucka!!! :rolleyes:

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I didn't go for the 32gig because all my music I stream from home with Simplify. So I use my space for Pics, Apps, and ringtones.

7. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Unless you significantly change your usage habits, 16 is already far too much.

8. ifoner macrumors newbie

It's not just about whether you can use it now. It's about whether you'll need the extra space to support the new features of the 3Gs. Two of them off the top of my head - the biggest is video. If you see yourself using this feature, get the 32GB. The other would be things like Tomtom. Apps like this will need more space than typical apps.

It also has a higher resale value next July. :D

Mark
    http://blog.glorious-landscape.com

9. ALongoria23 thread starter macrumors member

Another reason I ask is that at some point my 160 gig iPod will be filled (50 gigs left), and I thought of using my iPhone as another iPod, but I doubt i will run through 50 gigs anytime soon.

Thanks

10. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

the 32 GB is the only attractive feature of the 3Gs IMO (I won't be refinancing my car/home to get one though) I sync all of my music and would like a few movies to choose from as well when commuting to and from work.

However, to answer your question. It sounds like you only need an 8GB iPhone

11. ALongoria23 thread starter macrumors member

I figure with video I would just take it and automatically take it off my phone.

12. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

In case you didn't know The iPhone is a Phone and an iPod in the same device. So you don't need 2. Therefore, I'd say get the 32GB

13. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^Most useless post ever.

14. ALongoria23 thread starter macrumors member

I know that it's a iPhone and an iPod. I'm not that stupid, it's just that the majority of my music is on an iPod, but if i run out I highly doubt apple is going to refresh the classic line to a bigger size.

15. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

With all due respect, I still disagree given the OPs current usage. If he uses less than 1GB, the "new" features would still have plenty of breathing room. For video, think of something like the Flip video units, etc. Even the 120 minute High Def models are only 8GB. The iPhone VGA video camera wouldn't use nearly that much. Throw in a few GB (being very generous) for Maps, Points of Interest, and other GPS data, maybe a few hundred meg for voice recordings, etc and there's still tons of room.

Sorry, not being argumentative but 16 is still plenty for this particular person. Now, I'm a different story. lol (32GB on order)

16. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I'm just saying. Why would anyone want there pockets to look like this....
    [​IMG]

17. Shabbis macrumors regular

18. bigchief macrumors 6502a

You'll probably recoup most of the extra $100 when you sell it. I say go for the 32 if it doesn't sqeeeze your budget.

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Settle down - it just means you are going to be more selective in uploading your must to the iPhone. You can no longer "take it [all] with you"

20. ALongoria23 thread starter macrumors member

I'm gonna sell off my 3G so like i said the money is there, but 16 does some reasonable, and I'll still have some extra cash in my pocket.

21. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'm never far away from my laptop so 16GB suits me just fine. I think 32GB is a bit overkill, but people like carrying their collection everywhere.

22. aluren macrumors 65816

you should sell your 16gb and downgrade to an 8gb.

23. travistaylor macrumors regular

Sounds to me like you should save your money and get the least amount of storage possible.

I, on the other hand, have about 70GB of video (TV Shows and Movies) on my iTunes Library, so a 32GB is a huge plus for me. Of course I can't watch all of that at once, but having a choice is nice. Plus, I'm upgrading an old 4GB First Generation iPhone. Should be nice to have 8 times the storage capacity!

24. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I've got a 16GB 3G and its got less than 1GB free.
    I can't wait to get my hands on a 32GB 3GS.

25. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

Same here, my 16GB is completely full, cannot wait for the extra storage space!