Is It Worth Getting the MBP 2011 or Should I Wait for the 2012 One?

Rammer1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
6
0
I want to buy a new laptop, so should I get the 2011 MBP or should I wait for the 2012 MBP. Any rumors as to when it will release and what it could have?
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
66,390
33,009
Boston
Ivy Bridge is not due out until April/May so we'll not see any new Macs until then.

if you need one now, buy one, otherwise plan on waiting until then
 

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
8,122
1,000
Pennsylvania
I want to buy a new laptop, so should I get the 2011 MBP or should I wait for the 2012 MBP. Any rumors as to when it will release and what it could have?
The next generation will have the Ivy Bridge chipset, with USB 3.0 built in and better battery life. They're marked for a May launch though, so you're looking at 4 month wait. Can you wait 4 months for the newest, latest, and greatest?
 

Rammer1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
6
0
Yes, I need it for college, but that starts in August. Worth the wait you would say? and will the price be more?
 

Rammer1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
6
0
I heard that the 2012 one will be skinnier, but will it still have a CD drive? And can i assume that it will indeed come out around May-July?
 

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
412
0
Yes, expect the Macbook Pros to be updated to Ivy Bridge in April or May. The iMac, and Mac Mini should also be updated shortly thereafter, with the Macbook Air in Summer.

The Macbook Pro can see the biggest gains - 13" will see a healthy battery life boost, performance boost from dual core, and much better integrated graphics that it relies on.

The Macbook Air will also be a huge improvement.

The 15"-17" Macbook Pros will be faster and have improved performance but graphics won't matter as much.

Mac Mini will get faster and more useful, but iMacs - barring a big jump in GPU - will have similar performance on the high end to last year's models.
 

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
5,904
484
Yes, I need it for college, but that starts in August. Worth the wait you would say? and will the price be more?
Worth is subjective, apple barely ever touches its prices, if anything, they've gone down a bit in the last few years.
 

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
632
1
I heard that the 2012 one will be skinnier,
All rumors. Some say Apple will redesign it and make it skinnier, some say it'll stay the same for at least one or two more refreshes.

but will it still have a CD drive?
It's all speculation at this point. If Apple indeed does a redesign, there are more chances we won't have the Disc Drive anymore to make room for either a better cooling system for the GPU (or bigger battery) while making the thinner design possible.

And can i assume that it will indeed come out around May-July?
I'd say 99% possible unless stupid Intel gives another delay. :D
 

leo.andres.21

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
227
32
Centre of the Attention
Since we're already a month off 2012, I'd suggest you wait for the next model. There'd be too much buyer remorse if you buy one now if they decide to add something like USB 3.0 or an outer re-design. :)
 

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
632
1
Since we're already a month off 2012, I'd suggest you wait for the next model. There'd be too much buyer remorse if you buy one now
This. It always feels horrible when a new one gets announced and you had no idea it was gonna happen. Or if you have the added resources and can handle the hassle, buy an entry level now so you have something to use but have full intentions of Ebay-ing it when the new one gets available, lose a little (or none) amount of money and buy the new one.
 

bniu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2010
990
181
Since we're already a month off 2012, I'd suggest you wait for the next model. There'd be too much buyer remorse if you buy one now if they decide to add something like USB 3.0 or an outer re-design. :)
USB 3.0 you can already get with the Sonnettech thunderbolt to express card slot accessory with the USB 3.0 express card thing, so nothing exciting there. Honestly, just get what you need, if you can't wait until April/May, then go ahead and buy one that will hold you over to Haswell.
 

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
454
20
What's the point of buying an expensive computer if you have to buy all sorts of accessories to make it work as you want it?

I hope they release some more info about the 2012 MBPs.
 

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
22,168
1,212
NYC
I don't see the point of buying it now if you're not going to need it until next August anyway… of course that's unless you need it right now. If you need it right now just go buy it.
 

espiritujo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2011
95
0
columbia, sc
I'm probably going to get the 2011 one next week. I'm going for the 15 inch, and while waiting seems like the better choice, I'll be content with what's on it now. I spilled liquid on my white 2009 MacBook and being in college, I need a laptop desperately to write papers. For you, id say to wait. University isn't starting till August, and you'll have all summer to play around with it. However in my case, I'll have to get one now
 

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
1,651
6
Michigan
Yep, no need, just want. Wait and you'll be happy. You'd probably be happy without waiting, but at least your buyer's remorse (if you're the type to get it) would be delayed a few more months until the next next update comes out :p
 

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
565
0
Virginia
This. It always feels horrible when a new one gets announced and you had no idea it was gonna happen. Or if you have the added resources and can handle the hassle, buy an entry level now so you have something to use but have full intentions of Ebay-ing it when the new one gets available, lose a little (or none) amount of money and buy the new one.
I have to disagree with this. Buying low end and selling a few months later will likely lose you a few hundred dollars. eBay is a great place and I've sold a hell of a lot of stuff there. But, eBay and PayPal take fees. For a ~$1500 item you'll pay at least $100 in fees. Any used item sells for less than a new one. That's another chunk of money gone.

The bottom line is just to wait. It's only a few months and you'll have the latest and greatest. If you're graduating this spring (like I am), a new Mac will make a great grad present (either to yourself or from your parents).
 

leo.andres.21

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
227
32
Centre of the Attention
USB 3.0 you can already get with the Sonnettech thunderbolt to express card slot accessory with the USB 3.0 express card thing, so nothing exciting there. Honestly, just get what you need, if you can't wait until April/May, then go ahead and buy one that will hold you over to Haswell.
That would defeat the purpose and having to buy extra peripheral is quite a hassle.
 

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
867
0
Tartarus
if you have to question it, just wait. you can find hundreds of post just like yours on this forum. all get the same answer. if you are hearing news about the 2012 MBP and it sounds worth waiting for, then why not? in 2013 it will be old anyways ;) kidding. I didn't wait for the 2011 refresh and I am still happy. But if theres talk of total redesign then why not wait and see.
 

Shredder-

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
143
13
whats really awesome about mac products is that they have a GREAT second hand value. i buy all my computers through my company (i don't have to pay the 25% in taxes), and then i can sell 'em off in a year for almost the same price i bought it.

i upgraded from macbook 7.1 that cost me $899, sold it for $800 13 months later and bought the mbp 13" i5 for $950 ish (my currency is not in dollars so its just a rough estimate). if the new MBP is attractive enough, ill do the same process. if you can somehow do that too, why not buy one now and sell it if you like the new mbp better
 

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
893
118
If there is indeed a redesign, I, for one, will not buy the first revision.

Interesting to see if they dump dedicated GPU's to make it thinner. If they do put Retnia displays on them, any GPU will have to work twice as hard when gaming. (If your into that sort of thing)

I think Apple will impress the MBA crowd with more power, but the heavy users, and those of us that want an all in one solution, might be dissapointed. (Unless Apple releases a TB-GPU)

We shall see...
 

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
12,318
7,798
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
If there is indeed a redesign, I, for one, will not buy the first revision.

Interesting to see if they dump dedicated GPU's to make it thinner. If they do put Retnia displays on them, any GPU will have to work twice as hard when gaming. (If your into that sort of thing)

I think Apple will impress the MBA crowd with more power, but the heavy users, and those of us that want an all in one solution, might be dissapointed. (Unless Apple releases a TB-GPU)

We shall see...
This, if Apple do as stated put in a 'retina' screen, you'll need one hell of a GPU to play games smoothly at it's native resolution. And that means more heat and less battery life. But maybe they'll pull it off?
 

Similar threads

  • BoneHead001
12
Replies
12
Views
1K
Replies
4
Views
324
  • mrgreenfirework
5
Replies
5
Views
610
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.