Is it worth going for the 17" MBP just for the hi-res screen??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryox, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Well, the title says it.
    I'm looking to buy a MBP
    I'm a Photography student so I do a lot of photoshop etc...
    I was going to go for the 15" for portability purposes but now I'm considering a 17"
    Is there any change in how things (web pages, videos, the usual stuff) look? does everything look smaller because of the resolution? or is that adjustable?
    Thanks for your time

2. zdummy macrumors newbie

if u are doing graphic work all the time, then go for 17', if u are doing all the paper work, or viewing internet, ect...17' makes font too small, 15' is better....in my opinion...:cool:

3. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

When I first got my Hi-Res MBP I also thought that text was too hard to read on certain websites at the default font size so I increased everything by a couple of points. But a few weeks later I went back to the default and I've had no problems ever since. I think my eyes have just adjusted to it!

Yes, there will always be the odd webpage whose text size is just TOO small and that's where shortcuts such as Cmd+ and Cmd- come in pretty handy. More or less every other Apple application is fine at the default text size. The only application whose text size I've permanently changed is Xcode.

Just one warning, when you have to use your old computer or someone else's everything will just look MASSIVE! For example the size of the Apple Menu Bar is just perfect in my opinion looking at it right now. I remember looking at the 20" iMac recently in store and the Menu Bar just looked over the top big to what I'm used. I think the small text makes everything look more elegant. But that's just my opinion of course. The best thing you can do is check it out for yourself in person and make sure you use the machine for at least 20 minutes to see how your eyes feel afterwards!

4. Illan macrumors newbie

i got my MBP with the glossy HR screen. If you will bwemultitasking then go for it. yes some things looks small,but Having a lot of screen real is a big plus

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

The 15" set at its native should be good. I use it for all my photography without any issues.

Make sure you go with the matt screen over glossy for true color representation though - but I'm sure you knew that.

6. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

I bought a 15" MBP at first, but then returned it for the 17" MBP. Keep in mind, this wasn't high-resolution. I was going from 1440x990 to 1680x1050. Why did I get the 17"?

I couldn't handle just a low-resolution, ever since I bought my 20" G5 iMac, I've always had to use high-resolution screens. It's perfect for Photoshop, Illustrator, Aperture, and plus I like having two Safari windows open side-by-side with 8+ tabs each.

7. BadgerMac macrumors regular

The 17" Hi-Res is nice. I had my older CD 17" Replaced with the base model SR 17" so I cant' complain. For $100 I'd probably look at the Hi-Res screen as well.

You lookin' for devil's advocate?

1) 1600x1200 - more real estate on your screen, sure. You can only watch HD video you download though, no HD drive in the machine to take advantage of potential HD-DVD or BD 1080p benefits.

2) $$$$

I did notice they had refurb models now in the store, it looked like $2599 for the Hi-Res verison.

8. Ryox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Cool, thanks for all your reply! I'll go to an apple store and check it out for my self and see whats better for me