Is it worth installing 10.5 now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexshimp, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Alexshimp macrumors newbie

I just want a consensus from those who already installed 10.5 on their system... is it worth buying it this minute ? or should I wait a month or so?

I have MBP SR ... :apple:

anyways, just give me your opinions?

Thanks...

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

If you use your MBP > 2 hours a day, upgrade now.

If you don't use it that much, you can hold off.

Needless to say, I upgraded the second it touched my hands.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I say it can wait... It just seems so much darker, I don't know why.. maybe because of the #%$^ menu bar not being white, and the dock being a darker grey, but unless you want a specific feature (like time machine or spaces) there's no rush.. In fact I'd wait til .1 or .2 if there's no hurry, just to give them time to iron out the kinks (although they're not all that bad).

Or you could be like me, not need it at all, but get it anyway:p

4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I'm still waiting for my copy to get to my university. Apparently Apple delayed shipment to schools (at least that is what the guy at the bookstore said...). But I've always upgraded within the first week for every OS and I've never had any problems. Backup and install!

Nuc

5. Alexshimp thread starter macrumors newbie

are you guys seeing many problems? I was reading the posts over at the OS X subforum and it seems like people are having some major problems with this OS X... i.e. it being a lot slower and such...

I really don't need it now..I only read stuff on the net and do minor web dev. but even that is not much because school is taking up most of my time...

6. KershMan macrumors 6502

I have upgraded 5 Macs already, and they are all working fine. I had one post installation problem on my wife's MacBook due to Application Enhancer not being compatible with Leopard. I found on the Apple forums that this was a problem and to remove the files, rebooted, and all was fine.

I do not see any slowness, and I really like the way it looks. Time Machine is really great. A little hint there, make sure Spotlight is configured NOT to index your backup drive or it will take forever to backup.

Macs upgraded are MacBook CD 2.0GHz, MacBook C2D 2.16GHz, iMac C2D 17" 2.16GHz, Mac Mini PPC 1.67GHz, and PowerBook G4 1.5GHz.

Just wish my 800MHz iMac and Dual 450MHz PowerMac could be upgraded.

7. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I say if you have it upgrade, it's well worth it...I just did the upgrade install and it is much snappier. It also fixed a few problems that I had and overall the upgrade is pretty cool.:D

8. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I have a MBP SR also and did the upgrade last night after I got home..

As of now, I would highly recommend it, I haven't had any problems "as of yet".. granted, I'm testing my apps 1 by 1..

I haven't noticed a decrease in speed at all.. it's just as fast if not faster..
    :apple:

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Chopyness and sluggish graphics are present for my MB. I did an Archive and Install, I might try an Erase and Install + Migration Asistan today as many people have found that works better.

10. Alexshimp thread starter macrumors newbie

I think if I do go ahead with it, I would do a clean install...

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

upgrade now! i have had no OS problems on my MBP. the only few problems were a few third party apps that dont work with leopard.

12. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Personally, I'm going to wait until the next revision or so before upgrading. I've read and heard that there are some issues that Apple must deal with and I want most of the kinks ironed out before I move up to Leopard.

I admit that with all the new features, it's tempting, but I need my Mac to run flawlessly until after the holidays.

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'd definitely say do it now if you use your Mac a lot during the day. I even did the quick 'Upgrade" install and I've had NO problems so far. Usually, I've had a few problems when doing that - in haste, of course, because I want to play with it - but this time there haven't been any.

14. arcobb macrumors regular

I think I might have come across a bug or two ... nothing to worry about though. The the major thing I've noticed is it slows down much less if I have a lot of programs open at the same time ... I think it must be using the memory much more efficiently ... I'm happy with it.

15. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I just installed it on my Mac Pro. I have been waiting to install it on my MBP until Undercover 2.0 comes out, but I don't think I can wait.

16. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

Today I did an archive & install on my MBP and it's been running flawlessly. Adobe Ai and Ps are much snappier, too.

17. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if you dont need it now, then wait. As time goes on, updates will be made for incompatible programs and you'll have less of a hassle if any later.

If I hadnt read about the "bsod" caused by Usanity's apps i probably would have gotten my hands on a copy of Leopard.

18. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Same, did a upgrade, and everything has been working. I've actually noticed an improvement in power management, or at least an improvement in battery time prediction. I've only seen graphical issues with Xpad and Vienna.