Is it Worth it for me to get the latest and greatest?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Billy Underhill, Oct 9, 2017.

?

What AppleTV should I upgrade too?

1. AppleTV 4K (latest)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AppleTV (4th Gen.)

100.0%
  1. Billy Underhill macrumors newbie

Billy Underhill

I have a 3rd gen Apple TV that is connected to a 50" Plasma. It is not a 4K display, and I don't plan on upgrading the tv any time soon. Would it be worth it to spend the money on a new AppleTV 4K or should I just look for a good deal on a 4th gen AppleTV? I'm leaning towards a 4th gen.

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

3. Novus John macrumors regular

The 4k ATV has one advantage over its older sibling -- a faster processor (for games), if you're not buying a new 4k tv with real(*) hdr support. The other things are kinda the same.

(*) Expensive (~1500 usd) TVs have decent hdr support, the cheap 4k ones are fine but the picture quality will be just passable. Also, Apple's implementation of hdr support isn't great, especially when you're outputting sdr content on an hdr screen.

4. cynics macrumors G4

If you have no plans of upgrading the TV then just go with the 4th gen.

5. Tech198 macrumors G5

I can't speak for you... Only you can do that :D Get the 4th gen....
    I'd only get the 4K ATV if i got a 4K TV or will be able to in coming months...

Otherwise its a waste of purchase if u have no idea what you will get in a years time from now.... At least u can trade it in in the future in things change.

Always good to 'future proof' but its silly to future proof if u'r never going to be there, or have no idea.. It'll be there when you need it, but that's the point "will you need it"? Only you can answer that question.

(votes just took a major land slide)