Is it worth it to buy the ultimate configuration rMBP 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lachero23, Apr 8, 2015.

1. lachero23 macrumors member

I have a late 2009 white macbook and have been using it for more than 5 years. Now it is extremely slow. I need to buy a new computer badly. I want good performance. Is the 2015 13" rMBP good enough to buy? Which model should I buy? Is it worth to buy the ultimate configuration? I suppose I will use the new computer for many years. Now the 15" is not in my consideration because the configuration has not been updated. The 13" has faster SSD, a new trackpad and longer battery life. Please give me some suggestions. Thanks.

2. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

You didn't tell us anything about how you use your computer.

3. lachero23 thread starter macrumors member

Mainly office software and games.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think the ultimate configuration is warranted. What type of games are you looking to play?

The office apps will not see any benefit from the higher end configuration.

5. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Games? What kind of games? It does make a difference.

6. lachero23, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

lachero23 thread starter macrumors member

7. lachero23 thread starter macrumors member

Games like dota 2 and some fps games

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Fps

Games are hard on the GPU the integrated graphics in the macbook are not the best for this.

It will be far better than your 2009 of course. But you are not going to get desktop like settings out of it especially on more modern games...

If your main use is gaming then buy a gaming laptop with a decent GPU (NVIDIA maxwell 900 series preferred) you will get lower battery life it'll be hot, loud, noisy and not as slim but it will play games decently.

9. lachero23 thread starter macrumors member

I don't quite care about games actually. I like the bigger screen on the 15" but it has not been updated for a long time. I saw some comparison videos of the 13" and 15" and found the 13" really nice.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well ....

In that case any of the 13 inch configurations will do you fine, the only thing to choose on is SSD size just picjk as much storage as you need.

11. lachero23 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Based on the information you've provided, I have no idea.

$2,699 for a laptop is a lot of money. If you can afford it, and you place a lot of value in having the fastest and most capable model of the line you've chosen, then yes, it's worth it.

You'll never have to wonder "what if" - I had more more memory, or a larger SSD, or a faster processor.

But given your use, it is definitely overkill. Overkill is not necessarily bad. Especially if you plan on keeping it a long time.

These laptops generally can't be upgraded, so you are stuck with the configure you buy. You'll then have to sell your laptop and buy a new one if, for example, you find you need more SSD space. Is that worth an extra $500 for you? Only you can decide that.

It was worth it for ME. But YMMV.

13. diesel macrumors 6502a

Assuming we are talking about the 2015 13" only, and if your budget allows for it, why not get the best configuration that you can afford? If that configuration is the "ultimate" which i assume is at least i7/16/512 then go for it. I realize many will say don't waste the money on getting a higher spec'ed machine if all you plan on using the machine for is browsing or office apps or blah blah blah, and they are right if money is a concern. However as I stated, if money is not an issue, get the best configuration that you can get, or to re-phrase it, get the best configuration that you can afford, even if it means overkill for your basic needs at this point in time. You never know how your needs will change in the future and the best way to future proof anything is to get the best thing you can afford to today.

14. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

The only thing you have to worry about is how much internal storage you want. Otherwise, all standard configs will suit you just fine.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Words of wisdom.

16. Mr.C macrumors 601

For your use the maxed out or ultimate one would be a total waste of money and not worth it. Any of the configurations will be fine and if I were you I would base my choice on how much internal storage you need. You don't need or will see a significant difference in the i7 or in the 16GB of RAM. The i5 along with 8GB of RAM should suffice along with your choice in SSD size.

17. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Go with the mid range 2.7/8/256 and get Xbox one

18. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

OP, if you are not 100% set on staying with Mac you should give the new Razer Blade a serious look. If you're going to spend the money on a maxxed out 13" rMBP the money might be put to better use going Razer. Nearly identical in size to the MBP yet you get a beefy 970M GPU that will tackle your games. Just throwing it out there, don't mean to hijack the thread or anything...I own a rMBP myself...but if I gamed more often I'd have chosen the Razer over my MBP no contest.

If you are set on staying with Mac, I wouldn't waste the funds on a maxxed out model.