is it worth it to download enhanced dictation?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kat.hayes, Feb 20, 2014.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I want to start using dictation on my 13-inch MBP, though I do not want to download anything I do not need to my 512GB SSD and it is a 785MB file. What do you think about the benefits of downloading this vs. not?

Thanks.

2. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

While I don't use Dictation as often as others, and have no objective data, subjectively, I found the download/results well worth the effort. Other than a bit of HD space, I am unaware of any downside. And yes, IMNHO, the ensuing dictation is much faster and smoother.

So I say give it go!

3. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

benefits of downloading the enhance dictation would be to have an improved dictation capabilities (Assuming that apple named their products meaningfully)

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

I think it helps and frankly it's only 1GB. You have 512 so you shouldn't have to worry.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Under system preferences dictation I believe

7. mitstoshi macrumors regular

With Enhanced Dictation you can do it offline that your dictation is Mac based instead of Apple server based. Without Enhanced Dictation you can only do online dictation thus your dictation is Apple server based. Are my statements correct?

8. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Every time that I have used Enhanced Dictation, it has taken 5-10 seconds longer than with normal dictation. I'll hit the keystroke and the little box will pop up, then a little gear will spin for a few seconds, then it'll work. Other than that, it works great and having "live feedback" from it is great, too.