is it worth it to get a 2007 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HGMIV, Sep 9, 2012.

1. HGMIV macrumors newbie

I've got the opportunity to get a pre-owned 20" 2007 iMac with stock specs,1 GB of RAM. I know if I can upgrade the RAM to 4 GB (I've herd you can put even more in) that I can get to 10.8.

Is it worth it? The seller says she's got a thin red line down the display, but I've got a friend who works on Macs that may be able to hook me up. I'm not thinking about doing anything TOO intensive, possibly running BootCamp and maybe some light gaming.

2. Roller macrumors 68020

Depends on how much it would cost you. It'd be worth your while checking how much similar iMacs are selling for on eBay. But the thin red line is a worry - is it the display or a video card that's going bad?

3. HGMIV thread starter macrumors newbie

Haven't found that out from the seller yet. From talking to the seller, I don't know if it's something she'll know off the top of her head.

4. RonsMac macrumors newbie

I have an '06 24" and it still works great. That being said I wouldn't consider buying any current games in hopes of them working. Research the cost of replacing the screen or video card. I would think this would happen sooner rather than later.
    How much was she asking?

5. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

6. theluggage macrumors 68030

That depends on the asking price and your financial position. Personally, I've rarely seen second-hand consumer electronics that's good value if you can afford new - the furthest I'd go is maybe 'official' refurbs of last-year's model.

If you're skint then that might change the economics: but I'd still avoid anything that wasn't in perfect working order.

In that case, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, unless it's end-of-argument cheap or you owe the seller a favour. Sorry.

7. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

A 5 year old computer with bad screen and no warranty?
    Definitely no!

8. HGMIV thread starter macrumors newbie

9. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

I moved up from a 2007 iMac to a refurbished 2011 27" i5 iMac last fall.

I used it for moderate DAW(music) work and never saw more than 35% CPU usage even when working with twenty to thirty tracks and effects. I just wanted the 27" display to replace two smaller displays.

I wouldn't buy one older than 2007 because of ML except maybe for a back up Mac.